The god in the human world

999 years later: Modern world---

"In the early times, these were the explanations of our ancestors why natural disasters happen. Of course that has changed now that science has been discovered. Now for your assignment--- research on additional myths preferably coming from your own hometown. Due date will be on Monday."

A buzz of sighs and complaints began to fill the classroom which soon diminished when the professor urged everyone to settle down.

"I expect everyone to have something to pass, given the fact that we'll be having a long vacation starting tomorrow." He gazed at his wrist watch and saw the secondhand nearing six. "Alright, have a nice vacation and be careful on the way home." He smiled amiably at the students as if he truly meant what he said. He doesn't. But it was a role he decided to take. The least he could do is throw in some caring words to look the part of a kind teacher.

What's another hypocrisy to a world that's brimming with an even bigger hypocrisy?

Nothing has changed. The amount of corruption on earth definitely increased, but it was still the same. He was still the same. Still a man in his twenties. And still as lethal as the day he woke up eight centuries ago, washed up ashore, alone and confused. With no memories of who or what he was, he decided to coexist with humans, watching them rot away every so often as they reached the limit of their lifespan that only amounted to a measly number of years.

After discovering this difference, he distanced himself away from them. He no longer bothered with the trifles of human relationships, realizing he was a monster in their pudgy, little minds. Occasionally, however, humans forget about him. The stories of his monstrosity became ridiculous tall tales of the ancient mouth.

One instance would be... this situation he is now presently subjected to. He was heading home until a moment ago when a thin-looking fellow, clothed with ragged clothes suddenly demanded he hand over his money. So he forked out his wallet which frankly only consisted of a 20 peso bill that was enough for his fare ride home.

"You fucking twerp! Give me all of your money if you don't want this buried in your gut!" The stranger proceeded to perform intimidating gestures with his knife.

Smiling apologetically, he muttered, "Sorry but that's really all the money I have right now." And it was true. He didn't feel the need to carry a lot when he only has one class for the day. "If you'll excuse me..." He then spun away from the seething man and that was when he felt pressure on his back.

"You'd better be off dying then!"

Stabs rained down on him from behind but there had been no pain whatsoever.

It took the man a minute to realize something was wrong. A fact that amused his victim. "What the heck?? Why are you still standing..-!?" His words stopped and a blood-curdling scream came out instead, shaking the once silent and dark, narrow alley. "Why do you have worms and flies coming out from your back!? You monster! Fuck-! Ahhh!"

He turned to look at the man who was frantically scrambling away from him while shaking his hand vigorously to try and fend off the wriggling worms and slimy substance that had oozed out to cling on his skin from when he was hacking into his victim's back.

"Monster?" He let out a dark laugh as he sauntered towards the stranger who was now shaking like a leaf. His earlier bravado seemed to have vanished as if it was never there in the first place.

"You and I are the same. The only difference is I'm stronger than you..." He removed the knife from his left shoulder, knelt down to his assailant, took his hands and forced the bony fingers to grasp the hilt, crushing the tiny, little bugs that refused to leave his skin.