one

With a clatter, the suitcase was abruptly shoved into the apartment above the airplane seats, nestling comfortably in the gap.

Theodore wasn't happy.

He was never quite happy with anything, but this particularly grinded his gears, until he was sure people avoided gazing at him, his bad mood evident.

Seated on the aisle, he didn't pay much attention to those rushing past them, the chattering flowing through the airplane and the staff standing by the door with those fake, toothy grins on their faces. Inviting them in politely, guiding them.

Theo tutted angrily, wrenching his glare away.

When informed of how long the journey there and back would take, Theo hadn't been pleased. He didn't like the thought of being stuffed in a plane full of strangers for that amount of time.

But accompanied by his best friend, Javier, they had planned days of pratting about he wasn't sure they could live up to again.

"What do you mean the seats aren't together?"

Theo had snatched his sheet of paper from the Mexican friend lingering beside him, scowling in disapproval. Those shimmering green eyes narrowed, gazing up at his friend with a sour expression.

"We're not sat together," Javier had sighed pitifully.

His father fumbled nervously with the papers, muttering incoherently to himself. Compared to his wife, stern faced, shoving them towards the hunk of metal.

"There's nothing we can do," she snapped harshly, her brows wrinkling. "Now quit whining, and get on."

Such an impossible mistake – and it cost them their trip together. A stranger struggled to open a packet of crisps beside him, chewing on them loudly. He cringed, and shuffled away.

Oh, how delightful this would be.