Chapter 14

Scarlet woke up, feeling groggy. She looked around the room and saw she was in her bedroom on the ship. She saw Tiger sitting in a chair beside her bed, reading her journal. He smiled as he closed it when he noticed she had woken up. "That was one hell of a fight," he said to her. "Who won," she asked him. "Well after your fight it was Dezu Isikeye's fight and he won it easily. Meaning it would have been the two of you for the final match, but you were to injured to fight and Dezu left so you wouldn't have to forfeit, so it was a draw. He showed up here later that day with a map. Lux asked him why he didn't take his easy victory, and Dezu said it wouldn't feel right to miss the chance to face a worthy opponent. He then left the map with your captain. It's a map to a place here in the Forbidden Lands where you can get some new swords." He ran a hand through his hair, "That guy you beat came looking for you, ready to kill you, but that Captain stopped him. Things got ugly, and Lux really unleashed a hell I had never seen before, on him. Everyone got the message then, you don't fuck with a Shadow Pirate. After that, your crew was reluctant to compete in the contests they signed up for, but we forced them, promising to take care of you. We told them, you'd be pissed if they forfeited because of you." "You're damn right," she told him with a small smile. 

"Where are they now," she asked him. "It's the last day of contests," he told her. She pushed herself to sit up. "Slow your roll there sis," he told her. "I'm going to go watch," she told him. He sighed, "Why am I not surprised?" He helped her stand and she saw she was in one of the guy's shirts. "Apparently, you don't own any proper sleep attire," her brother said while giving her a look. "Is there anything that you do own that is proper?" She rolled her eyes and kicked him out of her room. She took off the shirt and saw her whole torso was bandaged up. She put on her white sundress that was soft and not constricting. She slipped on her sandals and brushed out her hair. Tiger walked with her to where her crew was watching the screen. "What the hell are you doing out of bed," Pince asked her. "I wanted to watch," she said with a small smile. Lux stood and let her sit in his chair. She looked at the screen and saw it was the start of the poison contest. 

Only the brave and stupid signed up for the contest. It was to show off which pirates were immune to the most poisons. The antidotes were right there if they needed them, but the moment you took one, you were out. Most pirates were able to get through the first few before they caved and took the antidotes, however, as you kept going down the line of the poisons they became rarer and rarer to come across so only a few may actually be immune to the poisons. Or you have a gift like Lance's that makes you immune without even coming across them. Lance took the poisons one by one, downing them like drinks of water. 

"He's a fucking maniac," several muttered as he finished off the last one. He was the only one to get through them all and not have a single antidote. He took his winnings and went back to his crew. He smiled when he saw Scarlet. He pushed back his tears of relief, "You had us really worried." She gave him smile, "I'm sorry." The next contest was the contest of Captains. Lux removed his hat, placing it on Scarlet's head, "Take care of this for me." He then made his way to the ring, hands in his pockets.  

The Captain challenge was to prove some that you and your crew have accomplished things never done by a crew before. It wasn't about the amount you have, but how impressive they were that declared the winner. Many had maybe an accomplishment here and there. Not even her brothers had much to show off. Lux showed the newspaper talking about Scarlet, and her bounty. He then placed the Claw on a table. He then placed Vice Admiral Gastrine's hat on the table. 

"I didn't realize he had taken his hat," Scarlet said thoughtfully. "He wanted proof we had beaten him," Dio answered. They watched as Lux won the contest, her brothers laughing as they shook their heads. "After this it's the crew race isn't it," Lance asked. Dio nodded, "We'll most likely be disqualified." "Why," Scarlet asked him. "Because all crew members have to take part in it. You're too injured," He answered. He was right, she thought. She would just slow them down in her current state. Muris laid a hand on her shoulder, "There is always next year." He was right. Next year they would come back even stronger.