Chapter 21

Mum's barbecue was today, she was leaving tonight. I was dropping her off at the airport. I feel like she only just got here. And I would have loved her to stay but I knew this is what she really wanted.
I was in the kitchen helping mum with prep. Any minute now Julian would be here with Taylor. I told mum I wanted them both to come and she was more than happy. I was excited but so nervous. Mum was the type of person to interrogate people to know exactly who they were. She loved stories and history but I was terrified of what she may ask Julian and Taylor. Not that they would say anything but still...

Most people were already here when I heard a knock at the door. I think it was just Taylor and Julian now. I rushed down the hall and opened shyly. 'Hey!' I smiled. Julian looked so good. He was wearing a clean blue shirt and jeans. Taylor was wearing a sweet purple dress.
It stunned me how these two people could be involved with a mafia. They seemed so innocent and sweet.

'Mum, you remember Taylor and Julian.' I said as we all entered the kitchen. 'It's so good to see you both again. Lunch is ready outside.' She smiled.
Both Julian and Taylor helped mum and me carry things to the tables outside. There were at least twenty people here. Most of them mums friends but my great Aunt Carrie was plopped down in a chair unwilling to move to greet anyone.
'Thanks for coming.' I smiled to Taylor and Julian. 'Nah all good. Your mum is lovely.' Julian added.

He placed his hand gently on my lower back and pulled me tighter into his side. It made me smile. He was so sweet.
'Let's say, grace everyone.' Mum said before eating. Mum was never big on praying or anything, she had probably never even been to church but she was always wary of lunches like this. She wanted her neighbours and family to think she was good and planning to go to "Heaven."

I looked over at Julian and Taylor, they both seemed so shy today. More than usual, it had almost slipped my mind that just a week and a half ago Ezra had been shot. It must be on their minds still so much. I grabbed Julian's hand from under the table. 'You okay?' I asked.
'Yeah, no I'm good. You?' I squeezed his hand just a little tighter. I didn't believe him but I didn't want to badger.
'So Julian, what do you do for fun? Outside of working?' Mum asked, she was prying and it made me nervous.
'I...uh. I actually own a gym. I box there a bit, but mostly just for exercise.'
'Oh really? Where at?'
Julian coughed uncomfortably.
'He actually owns Matteo's gym mum. He was the one who brought it.' I smile. I felt bad for Julian. He seemed like he was actually trying.

'Really? Oh...' Mum made the connection of when I had called Julian an ass ages ago. I felt bad about that too. I had just been angry back then.

'Oh well, that is interesting. I hope business is going well.' She smiled but something about it seemed off.

Taylor had helped clean up, Julian was out the front. Ezekiel had called him for something important. I had told mum that it was the 'Family Company'. She had said that he shouldn't have to work so much but she left it at that.
'Thanks for today Tay.' I grabbed a plate from Taylor and washed it up in the sink. 'It's okay. Your mum is really lovely.'
'Yeah, haha. Well, I think she really likes you.' I noted.
'And Julian?'
'She says she really likes him so hopefully it's true.' I sympathize and clean another dish.

I was on the way to the airport, mum's suitcase in the back. I was really going to miss her.

'Thanks for everything mum.' I say as I wrap her into the tightest hug ever. She gave me a kiss on the cheek and patted my hair down. 'You know I love you?' I nod. 'I know.' I didn't feel so happy right now. I hated these days. Saying bye to her was the worse. I always felt so alone after, at least now I had Julian. Though he had to rush off to the warehouse.

'You promise you'll call?' She rubbed my arm. 'Yeah! I hope you have a safe flight.'
'I always do baby.'
'Where are you going to again?'
'This one is to Canada and then I have a shift booked to Papua New Guinea.'
'Don't forget to get me gifts.'
'You know I always do.' A tear slid down my cheek and I hated it, I didn't want her to go. It had been so nice her staying with me. She wiped it away and pulled me into another hug. 'I love you so much okay? I will hopefully be able to call you as soon as I get to PNG.' I nodded uncomfortably in her shoulder.