8. - DANA

It was commendable how everyone rallied and helped each other regardless of rank or race

It was commendable how everyone rallied and helped each other regardless of rank or race. I observed the respect afforded by the Commander and his officers to all those arriving.

Alarri moved deeper into the camp, assisting with the injured as best she could. Listening to the soldiers as we walked through, the scale of the tragedy at the Dark Portal became clearer to me.

The Void Lords had lurked in another world; a place called Draenor, accessed through the Dark Portal.  These adversaries potentially had the power to wipe out entire planets. The soldiers were deployed to prevent Draenor being destroyed and to stop the foe from passing through the portal and destroying our world too. 

Their armies, however, were redundant against such an enemy, their weapons ineffective, impotent, and they ended up fleeing for their lives under the protective shields of practitioners of magic - mages and warlocks. But even those individuals had not been enough to thwart the enemy.

I listened in awe as they spoke of spirits, ghosts, phantoms which descended from the skies and crippled the enemy through the power of the Light - an endless, shimmering sea of energy situated outside the barriers of reality.

Enormous celestial beings, Naaru, also intervened, and together, they sent The Void Lords back to the shadows; to the Great Dark Beyond. 

As the soldiers' stories unravelled, the descriptive account of the battle affected me deeply. Whether the visions hurtling through my head were memories or just the result of hearing such a harrowing tale, I knew not. There was no doubt, however, these brave souls were lucky to be alive.

I took to settling under the eaves of Alarii's hut, leaving her to carry out her duties unhindered by an avian passenger, but I observed her closely. 

The heat in the swamp was severe, unforgiving, and never once did Alarii complain or take time to see to her own needs. She was dedicated, helping those who had suffered so much at the portal. 

Her calm persona and gentle voice had a very soothing and positive effect on those around her. The wounded expressed their gratitude with deepfelt sincerity, and she bowed, humbly, before moving to the next individual in need.

Commander Barrie was equally diligent in his duties, prioritising the health and comfort of his soldiers over himself. I could see he was tiring, being beaten down by the heat, but he didn't falter. His soldiers were important and that included Alarri. 

At one point, I saw him offer her water, gently pressing a canteen in her hands. She smiled, at first declining, but he ordered her to drink, and she had no choice but to do as she was told. He told her to rest and get some food. To ensure she followed orders, he called to one of her colleagues to accompany her to the canteen.

Curious, I followed. As Alarri entered the building, I flew in over her head. Her companion shouted in protest, but Alarii told her she wanted me to stay close until she determined I was completely well again.