Chapter 8

"Who the hell is Charles Baxter?"

"Evan's father." Marius and I have been hiding in some bushes outside Evan's apartment. Yes it looked suspicious, but people kept walking by without giving us a second glance.

"How do they know about us?"

"They've been studying vampires. I don't know why, but I have a feeling it's for their own personal gain."

He nodded. "They will use us. Like an army."

"Exactly."

He let out a loud sigh. "Athena, I'm tired. We should go back to my house and rest." He placed his hand on my shoulder. "We can always come back later."

I got up, stretching my cramped muscles. We've been sitting there for hours waiting for Charles and Celeste to emerge from the apartment. With no signs of them leaving anytime soon, we left.

As soon as Marius opened the door I threw myself onto his couch, completely exhausted. I shut my eyes, ready for darkness to consume me.

Marius cleared his throat. "You don't have to sleep on the couch."

"Where else am I going to sleep?" I opened my eyes and looked up at him. He raised his eyebrows and smiled slightly. I should've seen that coming.

"I am fine here, thanks." He walked to his bedroom and shut the door. I had absolutely no trouble going to sleep. My body's been through so much these past days, it's definitely time for a break.

I saw a girl. Running through the forest, faster and faster she ran. Her black dress flowing in the air, like waves. The beautiful details on the dress were breathtaking. A black veil was covering her face, hiding her identity. She was getting married. But to whom? She's been running for hours, gracefully and soundlessly. The trees and flowers around her were full of color, like a painting that has come to life.

It took a drastic turn for the worst. The life was sucked out of everything, like it no longer existed. Something went off inside her. She was now evil. She was the one responsible for the change. For death.

She was no longer running through a forest, but walking along a dark street. Her eyes were the only features available for me to see. They were full of death and hatred. Dead bodies were scattered everywhere. She was dancing with every step she took. Like this was a game to her. Her eyes fixated on a dark figure just ahead of her. A man.

He bowed and kissed the top of her hand. "Hello, my queen." He was wearing a mask, but his voice was clear as day. I've heard it before. He was taking off his mask, and she was lifting up the veil.

Just as I was about to see their faces, the dream became blurry. I opened my eyes and squinted at the sunlight pouring through the blinds. Marius stood over my body. "Athena?"

I rubbed my eyes and leaned back on the couch. A dream. I haven't had a dream in over three hundred years.

Marius waved his hand in front of my face. "Are you okay? I was worried there for a little bit." The sofa dipped down from his weight, as he put his arm around me.

"You wouldn't wake up." He sighed and looked at me. I had a little argument in my head whether I should tell him about the dream or not. He honesty looked concerned. "What's wrong?"

I gave in. "I had a dream."

"A dream? Are you sure?" He turned to face me.

"Yes I'm fucking sure." I rested my head on my hands. "It was so clear, like it was really happening."