Chapter 35

I got a phone call from my dad when I was on the train back from Heathrow.
I held the phone to my ear and blocked out the sound of the multiple people shouting. Too noisy!
'Hello, dad?'
'Hi Anna. There's a slight problem, we're on our way back from Bristol, but there's really bad traffic, and I don't think we're going to make it back in time to pick you up. It's going to be two hours at least.' He sighed.
'It's okay. Um, should I ask someone to take me home?'
'No, it's fine, we've arranged you to be taken home with Lucas. You know him don't you?'
'With Lucas?' I was shocked. Why would they do this to me?!
'Yes I, er, know him.'
'Its settled then. Will you be okay?'
'Yes.' I sighed and said goodbye, hanging up soon after.
'Can you kidnap me now?' I asked Emily.
'Why?' Emily was puzzled.
'I have to go home with Lucas.' I leaned back on the headrest.
'You're joking?!' Emily laughed.
'Nope.'
I was so not looking forward to this.

_____________________________________

'My dad dropped off my car to drop you home. He's in town at the moment. I'll come back for him later. I don't think he wanted to suffer the journey with us...' Lucas said with a chuckle, trying to lighten the mood.
'Thanks.' I mumbled.
The car journey was silent, and I tried not to hyperventilate at his terrible driving.
When he got way too close for comfort to a car in front, I shrieked.
'What?' He acted stupid.
'Do you have any sort of sense? You were way too close to the car in front! I thought you were going to go into it!'
'Now you're talking to me. Personally I preferred it when you ignored me.' He looked straight ahead.
'Huh.'
He looked at me sideways and the car nearly ran into a cyclist. The cyclist stared at me as he rode by muttering words that sounded not exactly...nice...!
'How are you going to pass your driving test?!' I asked him. Actually it would have been better if I didn't talk to him and let him concentrate.
He looked in his mirror quickly before turning back to me again but keeping on eye on the road. We were coming up to traffic lights.
'What?'
'Never mind.' I said when I suddenly felt a jolt.
'What the... Oh no! You have got to be kidding me. No no no!' He nearly screamed.
He braked, and opened the car door.
I heard voices. Some shouting.
I cautiously stepped out of the car.
'It's not even my car! It's my dad's...' Lucas looked close to tears.

A middle-aged man stood next to the car, examining it from every angle. There was a small dent in the back of Lucas' dad's car and I felt sorry for him.
'I'm really sorry. I'll pay for it! I was just putting my sunglasses on and lost control of the car. My foot slipped.'
'Billy! Just pay the poor boy the money and sort out the papers later.' The wife of the man stepped out of the car. I realised then that we were in the middle of the road. We were blocking a whole load of cars.
Great.

'We're going to drive to that petrol station over there. And they're going to follow us, and then we'll sort out everything. Sorry Anna!' Lucas said, dragging the back of his hand across his forehead.

When we had got to the petrol station we waited for Billy to make a few calls while sitting in the car.
'Uh. This is so annoying! Luckily it's not me who made the mistake!' Lucas said.
'You couldn't have prevented it!'
'I was going a bit slow though. You shouldn't have talked to me! I was concentrating!' He said it lightheartedly, but I was annoyed.
'I wasn't distracting you! It's a good thing that I'm talking to you...'
'Can I ask you something?' Not another question. I remember him asking a question the other day...

'Then why did you date me in the first place?'
'I...' I was lost for words. This was the single worst question.
'I just thought you were different. I thought I could change you.' I gave the first answer I thought of.

'Okay...'
'Why did you break up with me, truthfully?' He asked.
'I... Didn't mean to, but I need to tell you sometime I suppose...' I sighed.
'What? Just spit it out Anna. Don't lie to me.'
'I kissed Chris.' I said quickly.
But he didn't reply quickly. He looked at me in a weird way, and I looked away.
'You did WHAT?!'
'I... Didn't mean to. It just happened. I don't want to cheat on, I mean I didn't want to! It wasn't a mistake. I wanted it to happen, but I felt like I needed him. I had to choose.'
'And you chose him. Okay.' He looked down.
'No. It wasn't like that. I don't ever want to choose, but I wanted to kiss him, don't say anything to him, please!' Tears began to run down my face.
'You wanted to kiss him? WHY?!' He shouted at me.
'I need him, I like him a lot, and I have feelings for him. I do have feelings for you, but...'
'But what?' He said harshly.
'But I believe... I, I, um, have stronger feelings for him.'
He didn't say anything. I felt bad. Really bad. I had wanted to say that for so long.
'I see how it is.' His voice was muffled.

We sat in silence for a minute or two, but it felt like hours.

'I'll just be getting some fresh air, okay.' I needed to get out. I opened the door.
I glanced back at him as I shivered and went into the station shop.

His eyes met mine and I quickly looked away.

If looks could kill, I would have been dead.

****************************************
Hey!
Ooooh drama! It's getting tense now and I have made this story a bit longer than originally planned but I hope you like it!
I really appreciate votes and tell me what you think by commenting!
Annabell XOXO