Chapter 18

Two Perspectives

It was my turn to watch over the kid as we sat in the mess hall. A day after the failed experiment. I decided to just have private time with him for now. Hoping he ease's up.

I sat at one end of the table near the door while he sat at the other end. I sipped my tea as to not burn my tongue and take a few glances at Eren, who kept his eyes averted from me. He stared at the ground or at his tea.

"What's wrong?" I asked placing my tea down.

"W-What?" Eren asked, his shoulders stiffened, his eyes showing slight fear.

"You don't like tea?" I raised a brow, slightly tilting my head.

"N-No. I do. It's just... I have a question. Well. A few questions." Eren said gaining a little confidence.

That caused me to smirk as his curiosity. "Alright. Ask away. We have an hour together before the others group up. So ask anything and I'll answer truthfully. I trust you Eren. I hope you trust me as well." I said with a smirk on my face, resting my head on my hand. Curious as to what he'll ask.

"Well for starters. How and why do you keep a smile on your face, despite all you've seen." Eren asked, easing up.

"Honestly, I don't know. I've seen hundreds of my comrades die and get eaten by Titan's in front of me... When I met Hanji, she was a pretty serious person, but had just a tad of happiness in her. Years later she was more of a bubbly person and... She seemed so happy." I explained, looking at Eren who was slightly surprised when I said how much more serious Hanji used to be.

I looked down at my tea, watching it swirl around and continued explaining with that same smile I have on most times.

"I have two reasons why I always keep a smile. Before that, how I always keep a smile despite the shit I've seen is. I'm guessing because of the things I've already seen in the past, before I became a soldier. So. One reason is, when Levi became a new soldier of the survey corps, I decided to be like that same girl he knew way back then. The second. I thought if I keep a smile and joke around like Hanji, maybe I can feel joy instead of rage, sorrow and regret."

"And. How's that going?" Eren asked, catching me off guard. I looked up and stared at him surprised. The smile I once had was now a frown. I averted my gaze from him to the ground.

"Not how I thought. But I don't wanna be the same closed up serious woman I used to be, when I became a soldier." I explained, clenching my fist, feeling rage fill up inside me.

I'm not mad at Eren for asking, I'm mad as myself for doing this shit to myself. Though. It's not really an act sometimes.

"Are. Are the rumors true? And do you regret it?" Eren asked, snapping me out of my thought. I questioned him, dumbfounded at what he was asking. "How you used to be a masked murder, that killed sinful people in the underground and how you were forced to join, when you were caught by the commander."

I stared at him in shock. Soon my shocked slightly gaped mouth, turned into a smile. That smile got bigger as I started laughing like a maniac. "HAHAHAHA! S-Sorry! Hm! Yes that's all true! I killed them, but whatever money I found in their pockets, I gave to those who needed them even more and saved some for me. Truly though, I don't regret a single thing! Those disgusting humans deserved what they got! Besides! They helped me satisfy my desire for blood!~ So I thank them for that! AHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHA Ah—"

I felt a hard hit and soon everything turned black.

~~~~~~~~~~

Eren's P.O.V.