Chapter 1 : Feminist In Bath & Body Works

School was easy for me, I was a smart kid. Though I nearly flunked Math & French , I knew exactly why. Me and Lovetta shared that class. She would look at me and I would look at her, we never even talked before, but staring was something we never failed to do.

I had every intention of stopping her to talk every single day, I just couldn't. Mr. Gorden eventually noticed our little staring contest and took us to detention.

What he didn't know : I didn't really care...he was going to put this beautiful girl and me in the same room even longer.

That is when I could actually talk to her... right before detention.

"Cedar Pines...." I stuck out my hand to shake hers. I nearly exploded with joy when her soft, gentle hands hit mine.

"Ironic Name..." She giggled.

"Yeah..." I scratched behind my neck.

"Lovetta Coleman..... Hi..." she smiled.

We continued to walk down the  halls. Today was a grey striped shirt, grey jeans and grey ballerina flats. She Couldn't get anymore grey than that. Her hair was the most interesting part of the outfit, a little blue rose headband assembled it.

"I like your shoes." She stated pointing at my grey converse with drawings and words (courtesy of my friends)  all over the white tip.

"Oh...um...thanks..." I couldn't have said that more awkwardly.

"Seriously...My mom and dad won't let me get anything like that..." She sighed.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I rushed that sentence.

"It's fine, I don't  exactly NEED them, I just....I'm not the girly girl I act like." She stopped.

"I understand." I insisted. I didn't though. Nobody really understood the real Lovetta actually.

"Well, Cedar, we better hurry before we are late and have to go to detention tomorrow..." She sped her walk.

In my mind I was debating if going to detention with her again would be such a bad thing.  

"Lovetta.... Wait for me!" I demanded.

"Hurry up then!" She laughed.

So I did exactly that, I even passed her. It became a race for the most part.  I was almost to the door when I felt a hand touch my shoulder. Expecting it to be Lovetta, to my surprise it was Mrs. Glover.

"Cedar Pines! Lovetta Coleman!" She screamed " What do you two think you are doing, running around in the hallways of this school?" She demanded.

"Ummm....Hurrying to detention...." My eyes wandered to my feet.

"So since I was going to give you two detention right now and you have it already have it, I expect both of you there tomorrow as well..." She sassed.

"And Miss Coleman, I wouldn't expect this behavior coming from you..." She gave Lovetta an evil stare.

"Perhaps, Mrs. Glover, you don't know what to expect of me because you do not know me..." she stated.

"I perfectly well know who you are, you are the daughter of Nial Coleman, the mayor of this town. You are twelve years old and you go to Mr. Hingle for homeroom, I quite certainly know who you are." She tried to "Out-sass" Lovetta but she wasn't going to take that.

"Maybe you know ABOUT me, but you don't know ME, Mrs. Glover, now...I am going to detention with Cedar." She gave her Mrs. Glover a flat expression.

"Fine. Good day, Ms. Coleman." She nodded and rolled her eyes turning into the hallway.

"That. Was. Awesome." My mouth was in an "O". The own-age that one of the meanest teachers in the school just got was too much for my brain to handle.