Arrival

Hi I’m Shirley Allen, but I just go by Sher. I am originally from Sandy, Utah. My parents were both born and raised in New York, so I’ve got one of the thickest New York accents you’ll ever hear. I’ve never moved out of the house I’ve been living in the past 17 years. The only reason I’m moving is because my parents kicked the bucket, died in an auto wreck just outside of Salt Lake City. I’m being forced by law to go move in with my cousin Anthony DelFuego. I haven’t seen him since we were 12. Him and I are pretty different. I’ve got long, silky, dark brown hair and piercing, brown eyes and he’s got black hair and lively, dark brown eyes. We aren’t even the same race. Due to marriages, he’s fully hispanic whereas I’m mostly white. That’s why we have different last names. 

As I knocked on my new home’s door, I felt a chill go down my spine. Was I nervous? Never. A boy opened the door. “Anthony?” “Shirley!” “Sher.” I correct him. “Sher, sorry.” We exchange hugs.

Anthony POV

Boy did she look different. In a good way, beautiful even. I’m glad I’m related to her since tomorrow’s the first day and I just know she’ll be the talk of Rydell. Well then again, I’ll get an earful from the T-Birds. “Doody, why can’t you look like that?” 

I hope none of the gang try to pick her up, either. She came out of her new room after unloading all her things. Boy did it take her a long time. How much did she bring? I heard her down the hall saying hi to my parents.

When they finished, we sat down to the table and ate dinner. “So, Sher. How was Sandy, Utah, just before you left?” My mother asked. “Hot n’ windy. Lightning here n’ there, no rain though. Typical bipolar weather.” She says and takes a bite of meatloaf.

My mom laughs. “How were the mountains? I heard they’re lovely in Utah.” She says. “They are. This summer even, they were snow-capped. Real pretty things.” Sher replies.

We already know how Sher is. She’s been in jail a few times, from what Aunt Mary and Uncle Joe told us. She wasn’t a bad person. Aunt Mary even said she kept up decent grades. She just didn’t care, I guess.

She finished her food quickly. “I’m gonna go t’bed if that’s good. Night.” She said and walked off. “I’ll be waking you up early for school tomorrow.” My mom shouts before she closes the door. “She just lost her parents, I don’t blame her.” My dad whispers.

Sher POV

I locked my door and plopped on my bed. I held a picture of me and my mother and father tight in my hands. I told my mom everything about school. I told my dad everything about my life, not “mom daughter stuff” related. They understood. Even if I got caught stealing here and there, they’d be there to bail me out. I watched the moon before dozing off to sleep.