Chapter 12

Woohoo! I'm pulled an all-nighter, so I think I'm going to double update today. THANK YOU for so many votes, I really appreciate each and every one of you for reading my story, and I'd love it if you dropped a vote and let me know how I can improve my writing. 

"I'm not worried about me," she breathed, not wanting to raise her voice higher than a whisper. "I'm worried about you and Biana and Fitz and Dex and all my other friends who could get put into more danger because of me."

Keefe stretched closer, brushing a strand of Sophie's hair behind her ear. "You're not allowed to stress about us until you come to see everyone. They're really worried about you. I'm really worried about you," he added in a soft voice.

Suddenly, Sophie's stomach let out another loud GROOOWWWLLL. A giggle escaped from her mouth, and suddenly, Keefe was tugging Sophie to her feet and dragging her down the stairs. "You have  to eat, Foster."

Edaline glanced up from the kitchen table, and a sly grin appeared on her face. "Keefe, I don't know how to thank you for getting my daughter down here." Immediately, she conjured up a bowl of what looked like a kale smoothie, but tasted like chili. 

Sophie ate three servings, and in the process, noticed that Keefe let his gaze wander around the room. With an eye-roll, Sophie noted that Edaline had left the room, leaving her and Keefe alone, with the exception of a goblin bodyguard and an overly excited ogre princess. 

The liquid accidentally dribbled off of Sophie's spoon onto her chin, and Keefe reached over to brush it off. Her cheeks flamed, and she tried to conceal her mood. Clearly, she didn't try hard enough, because Keefe raised his eyebrows at her teasingly.

Once she had finished, and her embarrassment had died off, she turned to face Keefe, who was waiting for her patiently, just like he always had. 

"Keefe, you can go home. You've been stuck with me for long enough. Aren't you sick of me yet?"

He grinned crookedly. "Nah, not quite. Plus, I still haven't teased you enough today." She couldn't resist smiling back as a yawn stifled her response.

It was as if everything that she had been resisting was slowly returning- Hunger, emotion, tiredness. Even after multiple protests, Keefe followed her into her room and quickly sat down on her bed. She leaned into his arms, and used the moment of surprise to whisper into his ear, "Go home, Keefe. I'll be fine." 

Before he could say anything, she drifted off into her first peaceful sleep in a long time.

SORRRYYY this chapter was really short. This is the side of Keefe we all love, isn't it? ;)

That's all I have to say. I hope you liked it. I'm so freaking excited for the next chapter.