44. Calio

As soon as she heard the screams of 'fire', Calio knew there would be widespread panic. She was not, however, prepared for the explosion of chaos outside.

by the time she made it, even the red mages were refusing to approach the raging flames ingulfing the stables. Those that had already gone in to release the horses were crouching in the now melting snow, coughing up soot.

Through the cursing and crying of guests and the screams of horses and half-breeds, she heard a voice she had become all too familiar with.

"They're still in there!"

A young man, an Ocassan judging by the blue attire and thick, copper curls, was struggling to hold Tarragon back. "Let me go, we have to get them out! Clover, don't just stand there!"

The Cadarn girl's equal concern was written in the anguish twisting her features, but she seemed slightly less willing to charge headlong into an inferno. Calio deemed her to be the more logical person to talk to.

"What's happening?"

Clover's eyes were wide with fear. "Weyra's probably still in there. And, we don't know, but also possibly Leo."

Calio's stomach flipped. "Weyra's in there, and Leo, that's the order you're presenting that information in?" She turned away from Clover and back to the stables. If Heleonne was in fact inside, there was no way He would survive long trapped inside such a fire, and anyone who entered to try to save him would likely die, too.

Except, maybe, a red mage.

She didn't owe him anything. In fact, he owed her. Even with her resistance to flame and heat, she'd be risking her life. Besides, she doubted he would even give a thought to saving her. And yet...

And yet Tarragon had saved her. Whatever else he'd done, he'd saved her. And now his friend was in peril, and no-one was going to save him.

It's not impossible, she thought to herself. I've just got to avoid the smoke...

She stepped closer to the Ocassan boy restraining Tarragon and leaned into his ear.

"He's going to try to follow me. Don't let him."

The boy glanced at her, I flicker of confusion crossing his pale eyes, followed by a wave of shock as he seemed to register what she was saying.

But before he or anyone else could stop her, she began to sprint towards the stables.

The entrance was barred by a fallen beam. She vaulted over, into the mouth of the fire. Before she could continue, however, she noticed the outline of a figure right behind her.

A girl. A girl in green.

"Clover, what are you doing?"

"Just trust me-"

"Get out!" Calio pushed her away forcefully, but she barely yielded a step.

"Listen to me!" Clover shouted over the roaring of the flames. "I'm a red mage, I can do this! I can help."

Calio hesitated. "How long have you known?"

"A couple of weeks-"

"Not long enough, you're not trained. Go back."

"No," she insisted. "I know which stall Weyra was in. If they're here, I know where they'll be. You don't."

Calio gritted her teeth, realising with regret that the girl had a point. "Fine," she said, turning to stride deeper into the fire. "But watch out for falling beams and don't breathe in too much smoke. Just because we can't burn, doesn't mean we can't die."