Clyde

When Clyde got home, he climbed the stairs to his office. He went inside and sat down at his desk, turning on his computer. ‘It’s no Mr Smith,’ he mused to himself, ‘but it does the job.’ And he went to work, typing out emails to the people involved in converting his successful comic series into a movie.

He was still quite young when he’d started writing ‘The Silver Bullet.’ And to see something that he’d worked on for so long, become such a phenomenon was like a dream come true. But his biggest regret was that Sarah Jane wouldn’t get to see it. She’d been there in the beginning and she’d given him praise on his work. But she wouldn’t see the movie. He stopped typing. And he wiped his eyes to stop the tears from falling.

Outside, the wind howled and groaned and then stopped as suddenly as it had begun. He cocked his head on one side, thinking, then shook his head. He cleared his thoughts and was about to start typing again when there was a knock at the door.

He stood up from his chair and went downstairs. He opened the door and there stood a blonde woman he didn’t recognise. “Umm… who are you?” he asked, a bit brashly.

“Oh… yeah,” the woman said in a Yorkshire accent, “Smith, Doctor Jane Smith.” She held out her hand for him to shake. He looked down at it, then extended his own hand and shook hers.

“So… why are you here?” he asked, his eyes still a bit red from him rubbing them.

“I just wanted to say…” she paused, shedding a tear, “I’m… sorry for your loss…” she looked him in the eye and conveyed all of the meaning, all of the sincerity and all of the sadness that she felt. He looked back at her and he faltered slightly, his eyes welling up.

“Do you… want to come in?” He asked, “For a chat. Maybe a cuppa?”

“I’d love to.” She said, smiling, but then her face turned more sombre. “But I’m afraid I can’t… I’ve got someone else I need to see… I just thought I’d pop in and say ‘hello’… and ‘good luck’.”

Clyde looked at her, wondering what she meant.

“With the movie,” she said, noticing his confused expression. “It’ll be a good one… It’s a bit boring at the beginning but the ending? Brilliant…” She looked at him, realising what she’d just said “Umm… anyway, I’d better get going… See you around?”

“Yeah… sure.” Clyde said, more confused now than he had been before. She held out her hand for him to shake again. This time, when he took it, he felt a static shock and winced a little. She smiled, then pulled away, said goodbye, and left him standing by the door. When she’d gone, he looked down at his hand and saw something he hadn’t seen for a while. A blue glow surrounded his hand, a glow he recognised as belonging to the residual artron energy he had picked when he first met… a thought struck him.

The wind picked up again, as suddenly as it had before, and he rushed around the street corner. And there he saw, fading away slowly a large blue box that he knew, without a doubt, was the Tardis.

‘But that means that he- she- no… it can’t be, surely…’ He smiled. And then… he laughed. Once he calmed down, he went back inside, closing the door behind him. He walked upstairs to his desk and was about to start typing out a new email, when he thought, ‘No… he can wait and see for himself.’