Bounce In Your Heart - Part 1

a random and short shot!
This could turn into a multishot. So just a multishot (and a short one at that).

“Love is for the weak,” mumbled Irene into her glass after Seulgi had finished telling her the story of how a mutual friend was shipped out of the country by her parents after being depressed thanks to a very bad break up.

“What makes you suddenly so bitter, Grandma?” asked Seulgi from across the table.

Irene shrugged but didn’t elaborate on her comment.

“No, seriously. What makes you so bitter?” Seulgi repeated her question. “Your break ups have never been messy or painfully brutal so where is this coming from?”

“Nowhere. I’m just stating my opinion.”

“An opinion is usually based on something, Irene, could be from experience, or a fact you read somewhere… or something. What’s your reason?”

“No reason. I’m just… not really into the whole idea of love being the only thing we pursue in life.”

Seulgi raised her eyebrows. “Who’s only pursuing love?”

“Everyone.”

“Everyone?”

“Yes. Everyone.” Irene stared at Seulgi impassively. “When you don’t date regularly – or get married after a certain age – people will look at you weird. Your parents, family and friends will start to question you or nag you to death. It seems that the only thing that mankind is looking for during their time on this planet is love.”

Seulgi furrowed her brows, pursed her lips then tilted her head. “Seriously. Where is my best friend? Where is good old Bae JooHyun? The sensitive, caring Bae JooHyun that knows love and likes love. Heck, she even once told me that she loved that feeling of being in love.”

“Ask her nosy parents.” Irene took another sip from her drink.

“Ah.” Seulgi leaned forward. “Did you tell them about your second girlfriend?”

“Yeah.”

“And what happened?”

“Yes.”

“What was their reaction?”

“The relief is still there. When I told them I broke up, they couldn’t even hide that look that says ‘thank goodness’ written all over it. But at least they stayed polite and said how sorry they were that things didn’t work out for me. Omma was probably struggling to not say ‘See? You’re better off dating boys, Irene. Like normal people do’.”

“But she didn’t say it out loud, right?”

“Thankfully no.”

“So it’s not a total loss.” Seulgi now understood where the sudden skepticism came from. “You’ll find someone, Irene. When you least expect it. It will happen when you least expect it. It usually does. I mean, look at me.”

Irene had to scoff. “Easy for you to say. You’re engaged to be married to a guy your parents absolutely adore, even from the get go. I couldn’t even find a decent guy back then, how can I find a decent girl?” She then shook her head and emptied her glass in one go.

“Why not?”

“In case you haven’t noticed, Kang Seulgi, potential boyfriends are about a thousand times easier to find than potential girlfriends.” Irene put her glass down. “So if I can’t even succeed in something that is a thousand times easier-…”