Children of The Damned

- in Italy 1110 AD -

I opened my eyes to the sunset shinning through a horizontal field of grain. The sun radiated a golden warmth, it was a unforgettable reminiscence that shined onto the male that runs before me. His golden locks bounced from the top of his head as he turned to face me, only to see if I was still behind him. I smiled in favor while my hands were gripped onto my loosely fitted tunic skirt. I at least tried to avoid ruining my green bliaut dress while running through the field.

"I deny your claim to victory!" I yelled out to the boy in front of me.

I saw him shake his head while attempting to speed up. I'm not sure why I cared so much but I was going to beat him, I had too.

I started to catch up to him, hah! I could feel my long dark wavy hair swift from my exposed shoulders onto my back. The wind went against me the faster I ran.

Eventually I caught up to him and ran right past him, shooting him a small smirk as I just proved, I was faster. My arms outstretched for the finishing line that was known as the reins of my horse. I grabbed my horses reins and turned around laughing as he was only a few jogs away.

"I told you!" I exclaimed, slightly out of breath while facing the tall curly haired blonde man. 

"Iris, you're as slow as the day!" He laughed while reaching down to pick a piece of grain from the ground. He then wedged it into the corner of his lips and crossed his arms.

"Oh do be quiet Francis! I may be a lady, but I still won." I said proudly while running my hand down the side of my horses neck.

Francis rolled his eyes in ignorance as he stood before me. He opened his mouth to say something but my attention fell from him and onto the sky.

The sun was setting, and the colors of warmth came out of hiding. I smiled slightly in amusement. I trailed my horse along with me as I walked forward, my eyes stuck on staring at the sky.

"Was there something you wish to ask me?"

I let go of my horses reins, allowing her to graze. I smiled putting my hands behind my back knowing I cut Francis short of his sentence.

"Are you going back to French court later for the feast?"

I didn't know what to say, other than what I knew of the event. I turned my head to see Francis walking towards me.

"Must they continue to keep bringing suitors? I know I am one of the queens ladies, but why can't I just choose what I want for once?"

The expression in my voice sounded exhausted and I was tired of my brother Vincente throwing suitors my direction every time a wealthy man came to court. I wanted to be with boy I've known since a child. I wanted to be with Francis.

"If going to that party means I can have you back tomorrow morning, then please let me escort you back to the castle."

Francis wrapped his arms around me from behind and leaned his head into my neck, pressing a soft kiss onto it. I smiled and turned to face him.

I placed my hand to the back of his neck, and leaned forward. I was much shorter than Francis so I kinda had to go on my tippy toes to reach him. I pressed my lips against his softly, kissing him passionately as he returned the favor.

Francis rewrapped his arms around my waist, pressing her hand against my shoulder blade as he pulled me closer to him. I realized the more he kissed me, the less I wanted it to end so I had to pull away.

"Wait."

I grabbed his hand and looked up at him unsure of how to tell him. If I got caught being seen with a lower class boy, my reputation would be ruined. I've wanted to put it on the line more than once but I can't let down my brother. It was his one wish after our parents died.

"I know." He said nodding quickly.

He wasn't upset but I was.

"We must go now." I spoke quietly.

He nodded and put his hand to the side of my cheek. I grabbed his wrist and softly placed a gentle kiss in the palm of his hand before letting go of him.

"I promise. We will be together." I vowed, looking up at him nodding.

His eyes were hopeful, he hoped I meant it. I did. Turning from him I grabbed the ends of my dress, pulling it up a bit so the mud wouldn't stain the green cotton as I looked over at Aria.

"Come here Aria." I said whistling at the end.

She raised her head, uninterested and proceeded to graze again.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed ahold of the reins once I reached her, making her lift her head. Finally, I grabbed ahold of her mane and set my boot into the stirrups, lifting myself up. I mounted myself into the saddle and grabbed ahold of the reins, looking up to see Francis already mounted onto his horse.

"Perhaps a race?"

I looked up at Francis and shook my head

"I can not attend the gathering with wind hair. It doesn't make a good appearance."

"No fun, lady Iris!"

"Oh silence."

I rolled my eyes while smiling over at him. He smiled at me and kicked his horse. He ran in front of me, as always. Day was quickly falling into night.

"Cht cht come on now." I made a sound with my voice to get Aria's attention, she began to trot quickly while following Francis.

I made the biggest mistake allowing him to accompany that night, but of course I thought nothing of it.