A Different Beginning

"I don't have a Quirk, Kacchan," Izuku Midoriya said sadly to his best friend, Katsuki Bakugo. The latter had asked how his appointment had gone, where he would find out his Quirk. "The doctor said I wasn't going to get one." At first, the other boy looked on in disbelief. Then, a few thoughts crossed his mind.

He's just a useless Deku, one of the voices in his head said. He'll drag you down. However, there was another, much louder voice, overruling that one. It caused the boy to smile wildly at his green-haired friend.

"Well, that just means you've got to train extra hard if you wanna keep being my sidekick," he snickered. "Then, when we make it as Heroes, you can be the Number 2, like that other Quirkless Hero, Master Gundam. While I'm Number One like All Might. Now, c'mon, Dekiru. If you don't stop moping around, I'll change your nickname to Deku!"

The greenette, happy that his friend accepted that he was Quirkless, smiled brightly as he followed the other boy. Everyone believed he could do it. The doctor, though he said being a Hero would be difficult Quirkless, agreed with his mom, Inko, that he could be a Hero like Master Gundam. And now Kacchan did, too.

*****

"I can't believe we get to meet Master Gundam today," Izuku said, excitedly, as he and Bakugo walked behind their mothers, Inko and Mitsuki. The two eight year olds had been looking forward to this visit once their mothers had promised they'd get a tour as a late birthday present for Katsuki and early one for Izuku when Master Gundam opened his new office in Musutafu in mid-May.

True to their word, they had managed the feat, and it hadn't been as expensive as they thought it would be. It also helped that Hisashi, Inko's husband, had gotten a substantial raise from his overseas job, as well as some vacation time coming up in time for Izuku's actual birthday. Both Izuku and Inko were looking forward to some well needed time from the Midoriya patriarch. They both understood how important his overseas job was, but he always made time to come home a few times a year, and video called at least once a week.

But right now, Izuku was alongside his best friend as they made their way to the Number Two Hero's Agency. Although they both loved All Might, Master Gundam had quickly taken place as Izuku's favorite Hero since they were both Quirkless. A dream to be a Hero was attainable for the boy, and, with Katsuki at his side, they were going to be the best Heroes ever.

As for Katsuki, that little voice that had initially intruded on his thoughts when Izuku told Katsuki he was Quirkless, and the other boy had momentary dark thoughts, had vanished. He saw how serious his friend was about being a Hero, Quirk or no Quirk, and they trained as much as they could. Obviously, the more they grew up, the more workouts they could do to prepare themselves for UA High, which is where they both planned to go.

Both boys were brought out of their out thoughts by the arrival to the Gundam Agency. They looked at one another excitedly again as they followed behind their mothers into the Agency.

*****

"I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to actual meet Master Gundam," Inko said to the two boys as they all left the Agency. It had been a bit of a bummer that they had just missed the Number Two Hero, as he had been called away by an emergency Villain attack, and his Agency had been rather close. But both boys took it in stride, understanding that the Hero was needed.

"It's okay, Auntie," Katsuki was the first to speak. "He's going to go kick those Villains' butts!"

"Yea!" Izuku followed up. "Master Gundam is so cool!" He pumped his fist in the air, which Katsuki mimicked, causing the two mothers to chuckle. Their sons were turning out well. Though Katsuki was a little brash (mostly due to Mitsuki's own personality), they were both growing up to be good young men, with truly Heroic spirits.

What neither mother realized was how Heroic of a spirit both boys were about to show, and how that would affect their preparations for their Hero Career.

A/N: I know this is a little shorter of a first chapter, but I just wanted to cover the basis of how different Izuku and Katsuki's friendship is with Katsuki being supportive. Next up, we meet two very important people for Izuku. You probably know who they are. :)