2

i slowly walked over and helped him out of his vest. when i could, i looked at where the rubber bullet hit.

"how bad is it, doc?" he asked, chuckling to himself.

"i mean, it's not terrible but it's definitely there... does it hurt when i touch it?" i said and gently put my finger below his left shoulder blade, where the light bruise was.

he flinched a little and i brought my hand back.

"sorry." i said quickly.

he turned to look at me and grinned. "it's fine. thank you. i'm going to go get changed. help yourself to anything in the fridge."

i nodded and he stood up and walked out of the room. i looked over to the kitchen and quietly walked over.

i opened the fridge and saw a bunch of water, a half carton of milk, orange juice and only a couple cans of soda and beer. i grabbed a water, walking over to the kitchen island.

as i took a drink, i looked around at his kitchen. there were a couple dishes in the sink and lots of spices that were scattered.

i realized he probably liked to cook. i wonder if he was any good. i mean, with all of these spices, he has to know his way around.

he walked around the corner, snapping me back to reality.

he had on black sweats and a white t-shirt. he started walking over to the fridge and grabbed a water.

"you never told me your name." he said.

"i could say the same about you."

he smiled at me, letting me see his teeth for the first time. they were the definition of perfect.

"okay, well, i'll go first. my name is aaron."

"y/n."

"nice to officially meet you." he said and smirked.

a moment of silence went by as we just looked at each other.

"are you hungry?" he asked.

"a little, but-"

"okay great. give me 20 minutes and dinner will be ready." he said and started getting out pans and ingredients.

"do you cook a lot?" i looked around at the spices he was collecting.

"yeah. i actually wanted to study culinary arts. but i settled on med school. since i was a little kid i've wanted to be a cancer doctor. my mom had it."

"oh wow. i'm so sorry." i said, as he shrugged.

"that's okay. i don't remember it all that much, and she survived, just... the family wasn't the same after. my dad had a hard time with it and taking care of the family by himself."

"i understand that. it must've been rough." he glanced back at me as he kept working.

"enough of the sad stuff though. what are you majoring in?"

"well, i was stuck between three different things. im studying to become a pastry chef, but i also wanted to be an actress or work in forensics."

he let out a low whistle. "those are all wildly different things."

"yeah, acting was my number one choice but i can never know. it's hard to get into that business." i said.

"so you're also into culinary arts?" he asked.

"i would say so. i'm just more of a baker. i'm okay at cooking but i prefer cookies, cakes, things like that."

"well maybe i'll put you on dessert duty then." he said, grinning,