Chapter 1:We'll Be Safe And Sound

A/N:  So I know that this scene takes place the day of the reaping but I had to change it around a bit to fit the song, it should all make sense
-Imy

Key:
Y/n = your name,
L/n = last name,
N/n = nickname,
Italics = emphasised thoughts.
Imy's POV:
It's the day before the reaping. It's gotten to the point where the only things keeping our family alive is me, Katniss and Gale hunting outside the fence. My older brother James used to help, he's gone now. He was taken to the games 3 years ago, he was 2 years older than me and him and Gale were best friends. He came second to Johanna Mason, he was doing so well, he didn't realise how good she was, she killed him while he slept. I was mortified, my mother protested against the Capitol so they shot her. My dad has already died in a mining accident with Katniss's dad so now i'm living with the Everdeens. Prim is like a little sister to me and this year she takes part in her first reaping, I already made a promise to myself when I started living with them that if Katniss or Prim got picked I would volunteer without a doubt. Their mother isn't the same, and truth to be told I'm not either, but I have to stay strong no matter what. For Katniss. For Prim. For Gale. And also to convince myself that I can keep going. It's early in the morning at the moment and I've gotten up to go hunting. I use any weapon I can get, I can throw knives and spears with deadly accuracy, I can shoot with a bow and I can use a sword. I have developed a lot of strength since I go round helping anyone and everyone, helping people carry stuff around the district, hunt for the elderly, bake for the Mellark's and so on. My favourite thing to use though is the throwing knives. I'm currently exiting the district through the fence when I spot a deer, I go to throw my knife that i retrieved from under a rock when all of a sudden Gale and Katniss come running frightening it away.

"Really, first deer I've seen in a year, now it's gone!"

Gale just laughs and Katniss says,
"In my defence I was trying to stop him."

"What were you gonna do with it anyway N/n."

I just groan at his immaturity. We walk a while and suddenly Gale says,
"Watch."

He throws a stone at some birds, Katniss shoots one down while I throw a knife at a different one. We both unsurprisingly hit.

"But what if one year everyone just stops watching?"

"Well they won't Gale" Katniss exclaims while we sit on a small patch of grass,

"Yeah but what if we did?" He contradicts,

"Won't happen." I say and roll my eyes. As nice as it would be, in a world like this fantasies like that just don't happen.

"You root for you favourites you cry when they get killed that's sick." He goes on,

"Gale." Me and Katniss say in sync,

"If no-one watches, then they don't have a game, it's as simple as that."

"It's as simple as that? Go on then Gale, go get a message out to all of the districts saying 'don't watch the games, don't let the capital win,' simple." I challenge,

"She's right."

"Fine, gang up on me, I apologise for not wanting to be stuck here for the rest of my life." His words were angry but we both knew that he wasn't, this life is not what we want but like I said, there's not really anything you can do about it.