27

Albert's POV

Normal start to the week I would say. Got up early enough to calmly make the kids lunch, not disturb the woman on the couch, actually eat breakfast and not rush to drop Max off. Pretty good Monday.

School was school. Monday I had off from work, which made it easy for me to clean up and throw away all the beer cans sprinkled through out the house. I did my best to ignore her, and Max staid clear of her. Kids got home and started homework. Normal Monday.

Then came a knock. I froze in the kitchen, my heart stopped. I thought I was ready, but truthfully I'm not. "CPS?" My mother slightly slurred. I ignored her as I shakily walked to the front door. On the other side stood a woman, early forties, a white blouse, a black pencil skirt, and head full of curls, her eyes had a stern glare, and hands clutched to a binder. "Hello I am Veronica Silverstein from CPS. I am assuming you're Albert DeSilva?"

"Yes ma'am, please come in." I move aside as she enters, looking around, her eyes land on my mother. She stood up to shake her hand.

"You must be Rose DeSilva?" (I have no idea if they ever mentioned Albert's parents name).

"The one and only." Her smile has the curves around the mouth, her teeth show the years of drug and alcohol abuse. 

"Is Mr.DeSilva around?"

"No, he's away on business." I jump in before she says something she will regret. Her eyes stare a bit too long at me, her eyes judging every inch of me.

"Where are the others?"

"Guys! Get down here!" Before you know it, you hear the sound of feet thudding to the living room. They stare at the strange woman, their faces hold confusion. "Alright this is Mrs.Silverstein. She is a representative from CPS," Addy's eyes go wide, Nate's mouth hangs open, and Jason's eyebrows jump up. The rest share similar expressions, Max has no idea what's going on. I point out who is who among my siblings. Mrs.Silverstein jots notes down in her binder after I point to each one.

"Alright, I'm going to take a look around in the house. I'll be back shortly," We all sit on the edge of our seats waiting for her examination to be over. "Okay," she steps into the middle of the room. "I will be needing to talk to some of the siblings privately." Mrs.Silverstein starts with the youngest being Rose all the way up to Addy. Me on the other hand never gets questioned. Instead she goes for my mother next.

"How did the questions go?"

"Alright. Just asking how do we like living here, if we have the resources we need to sustain a healthy life. Obviously we all said that it's great living here." Addy assures my anxious self. My one concern is what my mother will say. There is no control on what comes out of her mouth. One wrong word and we are separated. I will be damned if that were to happen.

My mother comes out with her normal grim expression. Soon Mrs.Silverstein came out, no expression on her face. "Alright, thank you for your cooperation. You will hear from me within 30 days for further information."

"Sounds good to us." My back goes against the front door and look around. These next 30 days might be the last days with my siblings.

"Well she's gone, that means I can finally move on." My mother got up from the, did a quick survey of the room and headed to the door.

"Hell no. Why are you abandoning your kids again! Max has no idea who you are, you're his mother and he has no idea! Your kids want their mother in their life! They want to have a relationship with you! Dad no one knows where the fuck he is! But you, you are here, they can learn about you. Learn what's it like to have a parent in their life."

"No no no. You are not going to pitty me into staying! You can't stand me being here! Every little thing I do pisses you off! I can never win with you! I don't give two fucking shits if they want to learn about me! Clearly your father has no interest in you! Why should I!" The kids abruptly leave the living room to go to their bedrooms.

I feel my blood boiling at her words. A lump in my throat grows every time I shake my head. "Do you have any idea how hard it is to raise them, go to school, and work! I can't give them the life they should be able to have! We are lucky if we have dinner every night! I almost had to drop out since I couldn't afford child care for him! The bills are piling up, I have no clue when they will turn the heat off, the electricity, and try to pay the mortgage on this damn house! I don't know try to be parent and help me god damn it."

"Well if this is so hard for you I hope CPS comes and takes them away from you." My heart shattered.

"Get the fuck out of this house. Get out." I open the door and slam it shut. I can't, I just can't. I'm at a lose for words. I go to my room, unable to do anything else but lie here. Her words, hoping CPS takes away my siblings. Taking my family away is ringing over and over again. I start to question everything, am I good enough for them? I'm unable to provide a stable life for them. Maybe she's right after all.

Hey! I thought this chapter should just be focused on Albert and CPS showing up. Next chapter coming soon!