Fifteen

My palms were sweating as I watched the boys zoom up and down the ice. It was the semi-final game, also known as the win needed to go to the championships. Our team had basically sailed through the end of the season and the rest of the playoffs, finishing the regular season in first place and dominating the teams that had come in the ealier rounds of the postseason. This game was a close one, tied at one goal apiece. My heart was racing as our goalie made yet another save on the opposing team. I was standing, too nervous to sit in my seat. I looked over at Ashton's mom who shot me a reassuring smile. Ashton scored the team's only goal, so she had a reason to be excited. The horn sounded, signalling the end of the thrid period. That meant the game had to go to overtime. The zamboni quickly cleaned off the ice and the teams came back on. I grabbed Anne's hand, squeezing it tight.

"Oh! Honey, don't be nervous, the boys are gonna win."

I loved Anne's optimism. I shot her another smile and turned my attention back to the game. The two teams picked up where they had left off, exchanging missed shots and saves. As time went by I only became more nervous. Then, one of the opposing team's players turned the puck over to Luke, and he took off. Luke went from one end of the ice to the other, weaving in and out of the opposition's entire defense. That left just him and the goalie. He deked, and placed his shot just under the crossbar in the top right corner. I threw my arms in the air and screamed. I turned to Anne and threw my arms around her. The boys were going crazy, throwing their gloves and sticks in the air, hugging one another at center ice. The bench had cleared, so the entire team was in a giant huddle. Eventually, the boys cleared the ice and headed for the locker room. I ran outside to wait by the door they usually came out of after games. As soon as I saw Luke's blond head poke out of the doorway, I took off. He saw me coming and braced himself so he could catch me when I flung myself into his arms. He grabbed my legs and brought them around his waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. Our lips connected as he carried me away from the flood of traffic leaving the door.

"YOU DID IT! YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO THE CHAMPIONSHIPS!" I squealed.

Luke chucked, looking at me with the widest smile I've ever seen. "Yes we did, but not so loud next time okay babe? You were squealing right in my ear."

I laughed. "Sorry, I'm just excited."

Luke put me down and kissed my forehead. "I know. I mean, my game-winning goal was quite exceptional so I understand your excitement."

I rolled my eyes and lightly punched his arm as the other boys walked towards us. Their smiles were just as big as Luke's. They all hugged me and each other.

"Fucking incredible game boys!" Calum said.

"Hemmo and Irwie saving the day!" Michael added.

"It was a team effort guys." Ashton replied, always trying to deflect the attention from himself to the team.

"Yeah, we all did an awesome job." Luke said.

I looked on as the boys continued to talk about the game. They were all so happy it made my heart swell. They knew the championship wouldn't come easy though, they had to stay focused all of spring break and then practicce a couple of times before the big game. A few minutes into our conversation Ashton's mom walked over and gave us all hugs. We followed her to her car and piled in for the ride home.

***

"Are you sure you have to go on vacation?" I said, leaning on Luke's chest. It was the day before spring break started and I went over to Luke's house as I usually did after school.

"Yeah, sorry babe. My mom planned this a while ago."

I sighed. "I'm gonna miss you."

Luke kissed the top of my head. "I'm gonna miss you too, babe. I'll be back before you know it, okay?"