Chapter 1

Chapter 1

        Getting outta bed took no time at all this morning; I had a huge day ahead of me. Finally after searching for work to somehow make some money I got hooked up with three jobs at the same time. Well I didn’t get the jobs myself, Elliot helped. Elliot knew everyone in Arviat, and really without him I probably would be dead. But today was a good day. The weather wasn’t all that bad, but there was a huge storm last night so my house seemed colder than usual. I pulled a sweater over my head and headed towards the kitchen to make breakfast. Looking out the window I saw Elliot getting ready for his morning dogsledding routine, as usual. Every morning Elliot would gather his dogs and go sledding, he never liked to be sitting home. I waved at Elliot through the window, but he didn’t see me. Running out the door, I yelled out,

“Hey Elliot! Lovely morning today isn’t it?”

“Never been this great since last December.”

“You wanna come by for some breakfast?”

“Naah, it’s okay kid, the dogs and I ate early this morning, time for the run. Gotta prep these wolves for the tournament soon”, said Elliot chuckling, as he patted his lead dog.

“Alright, good luck out there.”

Elliot never came by to my house, but I would always ask. The old man saved my life so I’m sort of in debt to him for all eternity. I always wonder why he even bothered dogsledding though, Elliot is old, he’s almost 53 and still he’s so much more active than I am. He migrated from Africa straight to Nunavut with his parents because he wanted to see the snow. Once Elliot told me that his family was the first black family to ever settle up North. Everyone in Arviat respects Elliot, but no one really talks to him. I guess that’s why I get along with him so well. We are both basically loners.

I went back in the house and into the kitchen and began preparing my breakfast. While debating whether to make pancakes for myself or eat a bowl of cereal, I thought of something that Elliot had told me yesterday. He told me that the only way to survive was to do what I do best. What do I do best? As I ate my cereal, which I ended up choosing, my mind kept wandering off to what Elliot was talking about. I figured it would take me forever to understand his wisdom. Elliot was the most wise and philosophical man I ever knew. Seriously. That was one of the reasons that I admired Elliot. His attitude and serenity towards life made me always want to learn something new from him. And he never ignored me. Ever since he found me after the plane crash in August, he has been my role model.

After I finished my breakfast, I went to my room and sat on my bed with my diary. Ever since I got a home in Arviat I began to write journal entries about my experiences and sometimes about the past events in my life, so that I would never forget them. Today was one of those days where my mind kept flashing back and forth from the time my plane crashed and my life now. It was the first day that I could clearly imagine what happened during the crash ever since due to all the trauma it caused. The insomnia grew worse after that day and I never wanted to remember it again. Except, a part of my mind kept telling me that if I forgot that crash then I shouldn’t be alive today to recall it. Which is why I ended up writing about it and how I met Elliot for the first time in my life.

            December 15, 2014

It’s been about three and a half months since the plane crash that ruined my life on August 31, 2014. I wish I never remembered that day. A day where my life changed from me being lucky and always lucky, to almost dying and fighting through my will to survive.

 I feel like it was yesterday when I was boarding my flight with a fancy suit on to go to Iqaluit, Nunavut for the first time. The rush of excitement as I carried my bags through the airport in Ottawa left me running towards the bathroom as soon as the gates opened to board the plane. Complete failure.

I laughed because it was totally true! I would’ve missed the plane if I didn’t have to go take a stupid dump.

As soon as I boarded my plane I realized I forgot the most important thing that I would need in Nunavut. A warm jacket! In Ottawa, it was never needed. I always sat in a heated leather luxury vehicle anywhere I wanted to go. I had no need for a jacket because the weather never dipped below -15 degrees. Well, that was my first mistake. During departure, I decided I’d take the time and listen to some music just to calm my anger and excitement. Bad choice. In the next 20 minutes after the plane flew in the air, I was fast asleep. I think it was the first time I fell asleep without my insomnia kicking me back out of it.

After this moment, my entire life went downhill. But I continued writing only because I was remembering events that might have caused all this mishap to start. I ended up with no answer in the end until there was a knock on the door. As I approached the door to take a peek I noticed straight away it was Elliot. I opened the door feeling a bit jollier inside after waiting for Elliot to come back from his dogsledding routine. As soon as he entered my home he said,”

“Some place, you really like to keep everything organized huh, Drake?”

“You can say that’s a bit of an OCD problem”, I said casually laughing.

“Haha, don’t worry, it’s nice though. Can’t dare say it any better but son, I’m proud of you,” Elliot instantly gave me a pat on the back. “So the reason I dropped by today is to let you know that a heap of snow covered the lake and well because of all the snow it’s not suitable for you to get out and work today.”

“It’s okay, actually, I began writing in a diary today. Thought I’d do something productive while I waited for you.”

“Really? Hmm… I remember when I was just about your age, Drake, when I too was a fond of storytelling. Over the years, many people around here have shared a few folktales of their own with me. We should share stories sometime too!”

Elliot always seemed like a kid whenever he got excited, which always made me laugh. As we sat down in the small living room of mine, I began to read him my journal. We sat on a wooden couch covered in pillows made of animal fur and pillows. A fire place burned in front of couch giving off light and heat especially because in December there really isn’t any light in Nunavut. I had a rug that Elliot gave me as a welcome home gift when I got my house, but besides the few pieces of furniture, the living room was small and cozy. Perfect for Elliot, but I still had trouble getting used to the lack of luxury around me.

            Elliot loved how I wrote about my past and said to finish the entry and share it with him aloud. It wasn’t as if we would be any busier, all the stores were closed because of the storm the night before, so it justified the use of time in bonding with Elliot. As I kept writing I spoke aloud my words to Elliot.