Chapter 66.

I'm sorry.

They are the words that my grandparents couldn't help but repeat too many times. It's been years since I'd last seen them and I thought I would never see them again.

Tensions and disagreements were the cause of us seperating. After my mother's passing, nothing was the same again. My grandparents never saw eye to eye with my father again, both parties mourned differently. My grandparents thought it would be best for them to leave with me and raise me, whilst my father had time to mourn yet my father disagreed. He refused to let me go.

The tension was too much and it was not good for either one of us. They suddenly left and communication thinned, until it was no more.

Though it saddened me to lose out on contact with them, I accepted that I would never see them again. Years passed but now they are back, they want to mend our relationship and right, their wrongs.

I found myself quite emotional, watching them apologise to my father. They explained that losing my mom was the hardest thing, they had to experience. They believed at that time that taking care of me and giving dad, time alone to mourn was best. They hadn't realized that they were hurting my dad, with taking me away.

None allowed for me to leave the room, they wanted me to be present, and to watch everything unfold, infront of my eyes. It was quite an emotional reunion.

Nick was surely responsible for bringing them here. He had been looking for them without our knowedge, and once he found them, he explained everything to them. They surely didn't hesitate in coming with him, because to them, they felt that they atleast owed us a chance of getting justice.

The talk of the case opened up a big discussion, mostly surrounding aunt Karen's childhood and them raising their two daughters. My grandmother told us about how it wasn't easy raising aunt Karen, especially in her teen years. Karen was a child who loved to own something, she always wanted something to call her own and there were times, she wouldn't understand when my mother had something and she didn't.

They tried their best to do right by her and for her, to never feel like she was alone or that they never listened. They tried to understand her as best as they could. Things became worse when Karen had a boyfriend, one they never got a chance to meet, but knew of the influence he had on her.

Karen's disappearing acts were nothing new to them but it didn't mean, they never worried about her. The last time she disappeared was at the time, as we know now, when she'd been pregnant. They had found out later about her boyfriend leaving her, before they could offer comfort and support to her, she had packed up her stuff and left.

She returning home was one of the greatest things yet my grandmother, noticed a change in her. She had lost weight and had changed her hair colour. Though she seemed like the same Karen, her eyes had expressed something far more different and secretive.

She surely had surprised them when she offered to be, a surrogate for my mother. At first there was much hesitation but she was too convincing, for them to say no. My mother's desperation added to them agreeing. A spark and more life was found in Karen, when she was pregnant. It was like a new her had come out and I brought, a new beginning and light into their lives.

Karen has always been involved in my life but there were times, when my mother was still alive and Karen, would overstep the bounderies. She was ' too involved', my mother would tell my grandmother.

My grandmother was never oblivious of the secret looks, Karen wore when no one was waching. At times, there was a slip of tongue in which Karen would utter, words such as ' she is mine.'