18- Quandary

Four teenagers were running through the cold paths of Avonlea, leaving behind a trail of their footprints on the snow. The two girls were already exhausted, not used to running so fast for a long time, opposite to the other two football players who were perfectly trained.

-Shirley, come on!

-Guys, I'd rather be late than keep on running- Diana said out of breath.

-You can't stop now, come on! We're almost there!

-Okay, I'm doing this... come, m'lady- Jerry leant down, so that Diana would jump into a piggyback ride.

-Merci.

The couple continued their way among giggles while Anne caught her breath. Gilbert looked at the redhead playfully, wondering if she wanted to do the same as their friends.

-You wish, Blythe... I'm capable of getting to school by myself.

-Never doubted you. Now, let's go or we'll be late.

Fighting the cold and their exhaustion, they continued stomping through the snow, until they reached the warm building. As soon as their feet touched the school's floor, the bell rang, almost as if it had been waiting for them to arrive.  However, they were still racing against time as they opened their lockers and searched for their books frantically. The hallways were already empty and Anne still wasn't in her class, so she was in a hurry. Anyway, somebody stopped her before she could get inside.

-Wait, Shirley!

-Blythe, I have to get to class, what's wrong?

-Did you have breakfast?

-I literally ran to school, does it look like I had time to sit down and calmly eat my pancakes?- she said, to which he replied with a chuckle.

-Here, have this- the boy handed her an apple, which she took gladly.

-Thanks. See you at lunch.

-See ya!

She looked at it with a smile drawn on her face as she remembered the first day they met. Having a literary mind, she thought of how the apple had become a symbol in their friendship. Her head was in the clouds, but she automatically entered the classroom and took her usual seat next to Cole.

-Hey, someone's happy... Or in love...

-Cole! No! I'm just thoughtful- she said, biting into the apple.

-Sure, Jan.

-Oh, look who's there! The freak and her gay friend... Long time, no see- a too familiar voice said from the desk behind theirs.

-Make it longer- she muttered while crossing her arms in front of her.

-Now you speak back, I see. What about you, art freak? Are you mute now?

-What do you want?- Anne interrupted loudly, in a tone that made him understand she was tired of that attitude.

-You're getting feisty, orphan, watch out. I was just here to catch up with the old gang.

-Well, if you don't mind, I'm trying to have a private conversation with someone who is still in the "gang"- she bent her fingers in the air, mimicking the quotation marks.

-Oh, there's the thing, I do mind.

-Okay, settle down, let's begin!- the teacher announced the start of the class.

-Saved by the bell- he leant in, whispering into their ears- See you around, freaks.

-I'm so glad Josie broke up with him- the boy scoffed once he was gone, leaning back into his chair.