Chapter 124 - Zane Lowe Interview

❤️287,596 likes

❤️287,596 likes

hshq Harry chatted with @zanelowe and sent him a playlist of his favourite tracks to listen to at home right now. Listen to his Selects episode on @applemusic

View all 1,374 comments
username1 💅🏻 #nailart
username2 UR HAIR OML I LOVE IT
username3 🧡🧡🧡🧡
harry_memes did Candice paint ur nails?
username4 i miss u 😍😍
handice 🖤💙🖤💙🖤💙
username5 can u like... release ur own nail polish line @harrystyles ??
1D_forever I read that as Zayn Louis😂 god I wish @onedirection would get back together already PLEASE !!!!

-

Bold letters = Harry Styles

"Why did you connect with California? I mean you could've gone to an airport and handpicked anywhere in the world... and started to some degree again—"
"Right—"
"But you chose to come here."
"For me, honestly, I think... so many of my close friends are here; people from London who've moved here for work and stuff like that. I'd say since I left home, I never really had a place that feels like 'oh that— that's my home'. My old house in London is the most homely that I felt in a long time. With all the touring and stuff we did in the band, I remember there was one point where we'd been away for so long... I came home to my house in England and I was home for about five days. I walked in the door, sat down and I didn't know what to do. I'd been away for so long— like I didn't know who to hang out with so I was like—"
"What is this strange reality?"
"Yeah. That's when I realized that I was more comfortable being on the road."
"What'd you do after the five days? Did you head back off again?"

"Yeah— and I was happy to go, you know?""Did those circumstances change when you settled down and started a family?" "Of course

"Did those circumstances change when you settled down and started a family?"
"Of course. When Kai was born, I had already finished up my first solo tour so I was able to stay home with Candice and... be a dad. I didn't want to leave either of them for a split second; wherever they were... that is my home."
"I take it that family is something you most value in your life?"
"100%— pretty sure majority of people in this world cherish family above all..."
"Do you think you wouldn't be where you are now if you didn't have their support? Like your mum or sister?"
"Oh absolutely— my mum is the one who told me to audition for X Factor—"
"Really?"
"Yeah. I mean it wasn't only her— some of my friends from school heard me sing a couple times and they were always like 'You should be on American Idol' or something like that. Gemma's always been supportive of anything I wanted to do so when my mum said it to me, everyone was basically all on board with the idea."
"And everything after that just... went boom. After those ten weeks, your whole life changed."
"Guess that's one way of putting it, yeah."
"I'm interested to know two memories— and we're not gonna stick around here for long; there's so much more to talk about— but while we're here, what was the strongest prevailing memory you have before One Direction started?"
"... Probably like a birthday? I used to live next to a Chinese restaurant— which is my favourite and where I used to go for my birthday meals. And another was at this river— forgot the name. But everyone would go there during summer and like... have small barbecues and stuff..."
"Mhm... and how about a prevailing memory after One Direction?"
"Uhm— there's a lot of good times but if I had to choose one... it would be the day we all got put together."
"... Fast forward to the end of it and you're out here a few months afterwards— and like, that decompression leading into you self-titled album. That idea of independence and being able to do what you want; how'd that feel?"
"Uh... pretty amazing, actually. I didn't have a plan for when I wanted to make a record, but I knew I wanted to start writing at some point and that's kind of why I came out here... Sweet Creature was the first song that we did."
"How important was friendship to you when you were starting— having collaborated with a whole bunch of people?"
"It was a huge part of the process... uhm, I've always appreciated all of the friendships I have or had. Their ideas kind of tied the whole album together and made it what it is."
"Did you work with the same people when you were writing Fine Line?"
"Sort of. I like working with different songwriters... so I could learn— like, I just wanted to learn anything and everything I could from different experienced people. Mitch was with me like... almost everyday for this record as well as the first one. I think he's the only one who worked on both albums with me."