Chapter 9 - Zevil Island x and x Fire

Emiko's eyes darted around frantically as she stared at the badge number in her hand.

'197' She had no idea who that was, unfortunately. Had Tonpa mentioned participant #197 before? She couldn't recall.

It had been three days.

The third to enter the island, she decided to take her place up within the trees. She climbed the tallest tree she could see in just minutes and shimmied out along the rough limbs until she could see out over the surrounding fields. Not long later, she descended down, feeling less than entertained as she perched up there.

Although the island couldn't have been more than a mile wild, the sea had disappeared from view, lost behind a seemingly impenetrable screen of vegetation.

Out of the corners of her vision, she could discern a puff of dark brown hair and white ruffles. She recognised him as one of the first few to arrive at the bottom of Trick Tower. #384, Geretta. Not her target. She shifted her attention away and let her feet take over, letting them take her where they desired.

Seven days on this island. Option 1 - take her time and obtain three other badges. Option 2 - obtain her target's badge.

She'd decide later, she thought, for now she would just survey the island for food and clean water.

The atmosphere would have been beautiful, if there were she were right on the coast, or to put it straight, without the grunts or snarls of fighting in the distance. Emiko picked up her pace as she followed the noise. Perhaps her target was there.

The acrid smell of blood entered her nasal cavities. There were five people present, including her. One, hiding in the bushes. Then there was Hisoka and a participants Emiko did not recognise, who appeared to be the source of the grunts and groans. #371, Goz. Not her target. In the sidelines was Illumi, his face frozen in a permanent smile as he kept up his facade as Gittarackur. She arrived just in time to watch a spear pierce through a tree as if it was cloth, its branches rustling at it hit the ground with a thud.

"Hisoka, explain yourself. Why aren't you attacking me?" Goz demanded.

"If I continue to evade your attacks, you'll die eventually," Hisoka said simply, "I can tell from the Hemotopic Butterflies, that your wounds are fatal. Someone else has already dealt you a fatal blow, yes? Although, I do understand your desire to die in battle."

Goz slumped onto the ground, trying to maintain his balance with one knee. A swarm of beautifully coloured butterflies gathered around him. In particular, around the lower left side of his back. His shirt was already drenched crimson.

"If you understand so well, why do you still refuse to fight me?!"

Hisoka set his hands on his waist, turning away, "I have no interest in the dead."

"I-I'm not ye-"

"You're already dead," Hisoka cut in, walking away, "It's in your eyes."

Bruised and winded, with a leg in agony, Goz forced himself up, howling in pain and effort as he took another spring, swinging his arms as he attempted to wound Hisoka. A yell erupting inside him -

Then he stopped.

He almost choked as a yellow rammed itself into the centre of his throat. This was followed by a dozen more, piercing and utterly paralysing his face before he fell back with a thud. He was dead.

"Sorry about that. I carelessly let him escape."

"Liar," Emiko scoffed. She stepped out of the bushes, making her presence known to those present.