𝕿𝖊𝖓

𝐋𝐔𝐖𝐈𝐍

Maester Luwin, overall, despite himself, felt oddly satisfied.

Never, in fact, would have he thought that a Lady quite so fine, smart and endearing much like Elise Frey could exist, and simoultaneosly be betrothed to such an important Lordship such as that the Stark family - and more specifically Robb - held (especially considering that the young maid, as a Frey, could not really boast about having the best parenting).

Even before Robb had reached the Twins, the subtle yet strong worry had already started to consolidate in the old man's thoughts: Lord Walder Frey was a man of pride, and avid besides. Luwin knew that, unless offered a very good reason as to why he should let Robb's people pass, he would've never agreed - and which reason, after all, could top the marrying of one of his kin to Lord Stark, lead of a very powerful army that, with his help combined, was also hopeful to become (sooner than later) King?

What had come unexpected to the Maester of Winterfell, therefore, and not been the betrothal accord in itself, but rather the girl Lord Walder had decided should marry Robb.

A frivolous, easy-mannered and low-witted bride would've helped the old Lord's cause beautifully: she would not question things twice, and would not have the nerve nor brain to interfere with political manners, leaving he and his eldest sons the freedom to talk, decide, and use her powerful position on her behalf. Moreover, it was not usual for betrothal to be planned: sure, a father might take as many companions he should judge fit into consideration, but unless the other family approved, there was little to be made out of it. That time, instead, Robb did not have the possibility to refuse, and it could've therefore implied Lord Walder giving him a bride who was judged, among the Freys, the "black ship".

What had been the reasoning behind the Freys choosing a girl who seemed to be someone as far as fit to that role as Lady Elise, then? Poor thinking? Little time? Or could the girl hide some mischevious mysteries they wished be silenced and forgotten?

But through observing Lady Elise - her way of behaving, her naural humbleness, her soft attitude - Maester Luwin couldn't really bring himself to think her a woman of easy ways - a nymphette, as it was common saying in the Riverlands; a whore, as it was instead common saying in King's Landing.

The old Maester, however, had still not had the time to fully process his thoughs and doubts (and come to a conclusion he could confidently say to be fully satisfied of), that a letter, most unexpectedly, had come, securely attached to a raven's clawed paw.

It had been a hazy day (one of those rare ones where, even if at North, the sunshine could be fully enjoyed), made even warmer by it being the first hours after mealtime, when the aster shone at its brightest. The Maester had been lazily occupied by the recollecting of his lessons' notes, - a job which he liked to get done early, as to still have fresh in his mind the topics of which he and the princes had discussed about that same morning - and in the planning of the lecture he would hold the following day, when the bird had announced his arrival with great, loud shrieks and a powerful fluttering of wings.

The coming had not been a surprise in itself – as Maester, Luwin was used to receiving messages and moments like that one were bound to happen many times during a day. The old man had therefore got up calmly from his seated position, and had started to peacefully and carefully remove the envelope from the animal's paw as to not damage either of them. During the process, had been when Luwin had finally gazed the coat-of-arms gracefully emblazoned on the top right side of the letter: a grey direwolf.

Suddenly speeding up, he had also started to get a bit anxious: there was a saying, in fact, that went throughout the whole seven kingdoms and that concerned ravens – Dark wings, dark words. Luwin, of course, knew better than falling blindly for a mere proverb, especially considering that Robb (and his father before him) was known for not believing in any kind of omens, but the sight of the bird joined with the realisation of who it belonged to, had filled him with an unbareable uneasiness.