2nd Runner Up Fantasy interview!

The dream catcher and the conjurer's charm

By Heuristic_Hashmath

From which country do you belong?
I am from Sri Lanka, from the city of Colombo

2. Where did you come up with the idea for the story?

Actually I already had the idea to write a story about a superhero, or something of the sort. I had to create a unique one and so once I was in my Aunt's bedroom, I looked at a dream catcher hung on the wall, and a thought instantly flashed me, that I must name my superhero 'The DreamCatcher'. I had create an all new fantasy world of dreams and parallel realities for that purpose, and overtime, I set up the plot and characters for my story.

3. Do you outline your stories or write whatever comes to your mind?

I do both. Ideas come like lightning to my mind. Whenever I get a brainwave, I quickly note it down in my phone and then incorporate it into the story. So I will have to outline them properly or the story wouldn't make sense. I had to make sure that all the dots in my story connect with those new ideas.

4. What was the turning point of your life that you decided to take writing seriously?
I had a very serious interest towards writing. My friends and family always used to say that I had a wild imagination and my creativity was flawless. (Not to brag, but that's the true fact! LOL!) I learned that many writers had their books turned into adaptations. And that is where I decided to myself that I must write a story so great and so creative, that my book must get adapted into a blockbuster movie. It was my dream, of course, to see a story of mine in the screens and have a spotlight for myself in the writing world. So, I decided to create a trilogy for the 'DreamCatcher' and write my story on Wattpad :-)

5. Do you use any other website to update your story?

Not exactly, Wattpad is my first. I initially wanted to publish it on Amazon. Actually the reason I uploaded 'The DreamCatcher' on Wattpad is to get public reviews from other readers, so thatI could get their feedback on the story and make the necessary changes. It has worked well for me, if you ask me, because I have improved a lot by the lovely comments from the readers.

6. Challenges you face while writing?

Well, I love writing. I really love it. I just don't find the time to sit and escape into my imagination whilst there are many other things in life bothering you, like school and exams. It's a shame that our society won't allow the freedom of us youngsters to have the time to explore our talents and follow our passion. So, yeah, the time is a real challenge. Apart from that, I have to keep myself motivated to carry on writing and ignore the negative comments, because it can really pull you off the task.

7. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I don't have a specific place, but I have a top-three list. The first would be the city of Mecca, in Saudi Arabia: the most peaceful place than anywhere in the world. Second would be the UK: my cousins live there and I always wanted to travel the UK with my family and spend a long vacation there. The third would be Norway: I've heard that the Aurora lights are dazzling there, so I'd like to have a month off and spend the time there gazing the dancing lights!