Chapter 2: The City Hall Footage

Detective Stone and Kobe Mason had just gotten to Mr. Mason's office on the second floor. He sat behind his desk, while the detective took a seat in front. "Mr. Mason, have you ever met Mr. Frye?"

"Detective, we here for other matters."

"Do they matter, Mr. Mason?" Detective Stone's mind was theorizing about how Kobe Mason could have been the culprit, while he tried to focus on their current conversation.

"Twenty years or perhaps more, I'm the assistant director of Irongate's mayor, and I've seen you detectives a lot. You might think it's your investigation process and that you can tell anything to anybody and treat anybody in any way you want, but let me tell you one thing. This is just in your night-time fantasies, Detective. You apologize now, or I'll do it the other way."

If there was only one characteristic of Detective Stone that anyone in the Precinct had to point out, it would be that he was a patient man. But even those officers would know that his patience didn't mean that he wouldn't ever be humiliating. He would, in an appropriate time, like now. "Isn't it interesting that all these years of working here, you've never got any promotion, Mr. Mason? Didn't you want to become the mayor, or couldn't you?"

"I made myself clear, Detective Stone, didn't I? I want to know what happened to the new mayor as much as you do, but it doesn't mean I won't throw you out of the building if you continue acting like this."

"Mr. Mason," the detective said gently, "I think it's better to get past these childish talks and get serious. Can I —"

"Detective Stone, you speak harshly," he interrupted Detective Stone loudly.

"You want an apology, Mr. Mason? I'm sorry. Is that OK? Can we talk formally now?" Detective Stone was thinking of the ways he could ask Kobe Mason about the hair. Was telling the truth directly better? Or perhaps it was a cleverer idea to ask him about the last time he was in that room and compare his answer with the CCTV footage.

"I don't want your goddamn apology now. You leave this room, you leave this building, you don't look back ever. Understood?"

"Perhaps I'm not as harsh as I should be, Mr. Mason."

"Detective, just because you're older, doesn't mean you deserve respect. You want me to make the guards take you out?"

"And just because you're an assistant director, does not mean you deserve respect. Does it... sir?" the detective smiled. "Now if you excuse me, I have some questions for you. When was the last —"

"The exit door is that way," Mr. Mason barked, pointing to the door of his room.

"Seems we're not on the same page," Detective Stone leaned forward and put his elbow on the desk. "Let me make that clear for you, Mr. Mason. Here," he pointed to the floor, "right now, there's a primary death scene. And I," he pointed to himself, "am the detective chief inspector. So, you," he pointed to Mr. Mason, "are going to answer to me," he pointed to himself again, "sir."

Mr. Mason stood up to walk out of the room. "You can ask my desk anything you wish for," he said on his way. "But be quick, because the guards will get there soon."

Detective Stone walked behind him. "Kobe Mason, it seems I have no choice. Sorry, but you're under arrest," he said while both of them were in the hall.

"You can't arrest me, Detective," Mr. Mason stopped and turned to him. "Where's your warrant?"

"Right, of course, I can't. But he can," he pointed to Jason Tiger. "Officer, this man is under arrest. Take him to Precinct B14. I'll call and make arrangements."