one

Story for @dynaisuoh

"My Daddy says that when you fall in love for the very very first time, it changes you and no matter how hard you try, that feeling just never goes away" she stated it so matter-of-factly in her stunning accented voice that even her friend at her ...

"My Daddy says that when you fall in love for the very very first time, it changes you and no matter how hard you try, that feeling just never goes away" she stated it so matter-of-factly in her stunning accented voice that even her friend at her side couldn't pick holes in how much Marigold Moore truly believed the words of her father. "And I'm not gonna make myself fall head over heels for some boy. I'm waiting for a man." She breathed dreamily.

"Kissing some boy isn't going to make you fall head over heels Goldie, it's just going to make you feel all warm and fuzzy." Her friend sighed, holding Marigolds arm impossibly closer as the two of them walked side-by-side through the unnaturally blistering sunshine of a seemingly uneventful February day.

"Well that's the problem, isn't it? I don't wanna be kissing any boy Darlene. Not unless he's right." The shorter of the two singers nodded, completely certain of her answer even as her best friend giggled along.

"You're so precious, Goldie. Dreaming of a pretty man who will put a big ring on that finger of yours and let you pop out loads of darling babes to occupy your time." Darlene giggled and Marigold rolled her eyes with a sigh though it was contented because, despite her friends teasing, it was the dream all the young ladies had.

"Let a lady dream, Darl."

"I would Gold, but you know that the world is changing around here, not so many boys are becoming men anymore, they're all stuck in a permanent state of immaturity and lack of chest hair." Darlene hummed, her voice remaining serious though when her eyes fell upon her best friends smile- the two of them burst out into excitable giggles once more, swinging their shopping to and fro somewhat uncaringly.

"Ladies." A voice whistles and they whipped around, instantly regretting their instinctive action when their gazes fell upon the man they both avidly avoided. He was a prime example of what the ladies called 'a boy' and Robert Berry was in absolutely no rush to outgrow that stereotype.

"What do you want, Bobby? Goldie and I are working tonight." Darlene pouted her perfectly painted lips, flicking a curl away from her long lashes as they ground to a halt on the sidewalk, upsetting the other pedestrians who stumbled around them.

"You know what I want, Darl, what I've always wanted. The carnival is in town this weekend, let me take you!" He gushed, oblivious to the giggle that flowed through Marigolds lips at her friends expense as Darlene seemed to fluster in search of a reasonable excuse, staring at Goldie as though the answer was somehow written there somewhere.

"Aww darn, you know how much I didn't wanna miss that. But I happen to be working that weekend. Ain't that right, Goldie?" Darlene nudged her friend who was still tied closely to her side, their arms crisscrossed like a pretzel.

"Oh yeah, Mae's gone sick which means we've gotta work whether we like it or not." Marigold lied smoothly, shrugging with a pitiful smile before tugging Darlene around in an effortless circle so the two of them could bustle on again.

"Maybe I'll come and visit you both." Bobby called out.

"Perhaps"

"What about the weekend after, Darl? You and I, the pictures?" He had to somewhat shout now, blocked off by the crowd and the two girls shared a glance and a giggle before Darlene hollered over her shoulder once more.

"Can't. Working" she waved a hand over her head in a simple gesture before the two of them vanished around the corner, laughing carelessly as they ventured on.

"Oh we're terrible. What are we gonna do when he shows up looking? He'll surely ask at the bar and the managers will tease you and your new man friend until Easter!" Marigold grinned at the thought, teeth sparkling brightly.

"Well then we will tell them all that we've never heard of a Robert Berry and he must be nothing more than a crazed fan" she winked, receiving further laughter among the two who were feeling jovial under the unusually intense glare of the sunshine.

"You like Bobby, Darl! Why do you keep saying no?"

"Oh precious, Goldie. You have to keep them on their toes, make them really work for it. Wouldn't you say? And then you know that when you fall head over heels that they really do like you back. You've gotta let your boy mature into a man before you ever even let him hold your hand. Now you remember that Goldie. In case I'm not around when you fall for a man." Darlene patted her hand, whispering the end part as though it was the gravest secret and Goldie huffed a slightly shocked giggle.

"Oh, and where would you be?"

"Married to a pretty man, with a big ring on my finger, popping out darling babes to occupy my time, of course." She repeated her earlier words that made their both scoff in amusement.

"Well, a girl can dream" Goldie responded similarly in amusement as they finally reached the door of their shared apartment after a long day. Ladies such as themselves were not about to waste a dash of rare sunshine, even on a work day. Marigold and Darlene had been friends since childhood and upon discussing their future love lives, they both unanimously agreed that when the time came- they wanted to be there to see the big ring their friends man gave, and cuddle the darling babes they produced...