Ch. 16

"Are you sure you're good watching the kids tonight?" Astrid asked as Valka sat down in the living room.

"Of course." Valka smiled. "From what I understand, it'll be a treat compared to what you and Hiccup are doing."

"Yea.." Astrid nodded. "I don't know what to do. We can't find her father, and you know how hard it is to find a family willing to take care of a child that's not their own."

"That I do." She nodded. "How long do they think the mother has left?"

"Not long. That's why we're going sooner than planned. They say two days at the most."

Valka shook her head. "The poor dear."

Astrid shivered at the thought. But she tried to remind herself that she was doing a good thing. She was trying to find parents for a little girl.
****
Later in the day, Hiccup brought the repaired dresser home and together he amd Astrid carried it back up to the children's bedroom.

Astrid yawned and rubbed her eyes, leaning against the wall.

"Tired?" Hiccup asked, tucking a stray hair behind her ear.

She shook her head side to side. "Kind of. I'm more just.. Anxious and worried. This whole thing is just..."

"Upsetting in more ways than you can describe?"

"Mmhmm." Astrid leaned her head against his shoulder, sighing deeply.

He hooked an arm around her waist and laid his head atop hers. "I've been feeling the exact same way."

They were pulled from their thoughts from the sound of the front door opening and shutting.

"Kids are home."

So they sauntered down the stairs.

"Hello offspring." Hiccup chuckled.

"Daddy!!" Zephyr suddenly clung to Hiccup's foot. "You can't leave!"

"Honey, we've been over this." Hiccup scooped her up.

"But-!"

"We'll be back very soon, Zeph. And you'll get to spend time with Grandma."

"No!"
****
Well after a half hour of struggling with Zephyr, Hiccup and Astrid were on a ship headed for a neighboring island.
****
"Welcome." The village chief shook Hiccup's hand, and Hiccup nodded in respect. "Thank you so much for coming. No one on the island will help. I fear the girl's mother may only have a day or so left."

Astrid sighed sadly. An entire island wouldn't help this little girl. What was wrong with these people?

"I wish we were here on better circumstances." Hiccup frowned.

The chief nodded solemnly. "So you'll be able to find her a home?"

"We're fairly certain." Astrid replied. "Can we meet her?"

"Of course." 

They were led a few blocks down to a tiny little hut near a river. Smoke puffed out the chimney and there were flowers all along the yard.

The Chief knocked on the door and when it opened, Hiccup was stunned.

A little girl with black hair cropped into a pixie cut and a face dusted with freckles peered up at them. Hiccup had expected her to be about ten or twelve, but this little girl looked no older than Nuffink.

Her eyes were red and puffy and it was obvious that she'd been crying.

"Little one, this is Hiccup and Astrid. They're here to take care of you." Then the chief turned and left. Such a pleasant man.