I clamber out of the abandoned house and scuttle silently down the street. I melt into the shadows of bushes and trees that are long fences. I only pass a few people and they keep on walking without a second glance. Maybe it is too early. Maybe my picture hasn't been released to the public. I pass a bus stop with one woman sitting on the bench. Carefully, I seat myself down on the opposite end and avert my eyes. Stealing a glance, I see her phone charger poking out of the top of a large black backpack. A miracle was necessary. The elegant silver phone on her lap rang and she picked it up. She paced a few steps away to talk more privately. Moving with instinct rather than wisdom, my hand flashed out and grabbed the bag. I flung it onto my shoulders and ran. Her frightened shouts were lost behind me and I made it safely home, or whatever I could call this dump.

My face lit up at the contents of the bag: a phone charger and power bank, a bottle full of cool water, a light jacket and a few sandwiches. Plugging my phone in, I received a flood of messages from my best friend Alex.

Alex's phone📱where r u? Sry to hear about what happened 2 ur parents

Alex's phone📱ur on the news! A fugitive?! R they really blaming u 4 ur brothers murder?!

Alex's phone📱Esme pls answer me. I miss u and hope ur ok

Alex's phone📱Esme?

He doesn't think I'm criminal? Could he help me? I plunged my teeth into a sandwich, lettuce and cucumber, and replied.

Esme's phone📱Alex. I'm fine but on the run as u probably already know

Alex's phone📱Esme! call me as soon as u can

Dialling Alex's number (021 0809 1050) into my newly charged phone, I paced the mouldy room. After three rings, he picked up:

Alex: Esme! r u ok! tell me everything

Esme: come round and i'll fill u in

Alex: ok where you at

I gave him the address and hung up quickly, not wanting to delay his arrival.