2. OBJECT OF AFFECTION

originally published may 26, 2020

pairing: colby x reader

request: okay request: reader (also a youtuber) is best friends with jake, having met him when she moved to LA. she's crushing on colby and jake knows and teases her about it in a friendly joking way and colby overhears. a cute ending too? i know it's a lot, i'm sorry 😅 i love my life through Tumblr.

summary: colby hears jake teasing the reader about her crush.

word count: 1,244

warnings?: a lil swearing, a lil bit of insecurities (both thinking they're not good enough)

There were times that you questioned your decision to move to Los Angeles. Everything in the damn city was so expensive. It was hard to tell when people were using you. People looked down on you if you didn't fit into the cookie-cutter mold of what an influencer should look and act like. But Los Angeles was also the City of Dreams, and you had worked so hard to make your dreams come true. You were willing to take the negativities of the city with stride if it meant doing what you loved to do.

Thankfully, within a few months of living in L.A., you had met a Mr. Jake Webber. In a sea of fake people, he was like a shining light of realness that you desperately wanted in your life. He didn't give a fuck about what anyone said about him. He did what he wanted when he wanted. And he took you under his wing when you met at a party that you then-roommate had took you to. He had found it interesting you were in person, but how you filled with energy when you worked on your projects. And he liked how you were always true to yourself, even when the rest of the world was trying to force you into a box. So, he took it upon himself to introduce you to his friends, who he was sure you would love.

And love them, you did. You had never met so many kind people in a single night. Though they knew so little about you and the content you made (there was very little intersection in the vlogging/paranormal investigating world and the art world), they made you feel at home. They made you feel like you belonged. For the first time since moving to L.A., you felt like there were people who loved you for you instead of forcing you to be someone you weren't.

But out of everyone you had befriended, one person stood out to you more than the others. Colby Brock was an enigma. He didn't often join in on group activities, often choosing to "recharge his battery" as he liked to say. But the days that he came out of his apartment to hang out with the rest of you guys were the days that you loved the most. There was something so...magnetic about him. You couldn't help but want to know him better. He was easily one of the kindest people in the friend group, always making sure that people were having a good time and were comfortable. You swore, whenever he looked at you with those pretty blue eyes, you melted.

Jake caught onto your interest in Colby quicker than you would've liked. He incessantly teased you about the damn thing. And it certainly didn't ease up when the boys convinced you to move into the Trap House. Now, you couldn't go a single day without running into the object of your affection.

One day, you and Jake were in the kitchen. You were baking cookies, something you often did when you were overwhelmed. The quarantine was getting to you, and you were running out of outlets for your anxiety. Jake was not helping with the baking process so much as eating whatever bit of the cookie dough you hadn't put into the oven. Colby was gone to the grocery store, and Jake had used this moment to strike.

"So, when you gonna do it?" he asked innocently.

"Do what? Murder you guys for being fucking idiots?"

He snorted. "Surprised you haven't done that already. No, what I'm talking about is making a lil confession."

"How am I supposed to confess to a crime I haven't committed yet?"

"Oh, don't play that game. You know exactly what I'm talking about."

You stared blankly at him.

"You little crush on a Mr. Colbert Brock."

Your eyes widened. "Shhh!" you hissed.

"Oh, like he's going to hear! He's not even in the house!" Jake laughed. "Now, let's talk about that crush of yours."

Little did either of you know that Colby had just returned from the grocery run. He was about to walk into the kitchen when he heard you and Jake talking. Something about a crush? Suddenly, his interest was piqued. You were a very private person and, in the time that he's been your friend, you had never once expressed interest in anyone. He had to know more about this crush of yours and who it might be. He'd already decided that he was kill anyone who dared to mistreat you, so he needed to keep a close eye on whoever this guy that you liked was.

"Shut up, Jake!" you said. "I'm not going to talk about this!"

"Oh, come on! You can't avoid this forever, Y/N! You live with the guy!"

You lived with him? Well, that certainly narrowed everything down. It couldn't be Jake that you liked, because why would you be talking to Jake about it in the first place? That left Sam, who had a girlfriend, and was equally unlikely a pick. You constantly gushed about how cute him and Katrina were. That left Corey and...himself.

But, you couldn't like him! Could you?

Butterflies began to flutter around him Colby's tummy as he thought about what it would be like to date you. He'd had that thought often, but always pushed it away because he knew how unlikely it was. Someone like you would never go for a guy like him. You were sweet and kind and didn't have a bad bone in your body. He came with issues, like a fanbase that would rip you to shreds for even looking at him in the wrong way. You knew that, and you would never go for a guy like him.

"Forget it, Jake! I'm not telling Colby that I like him!" you shrugged. "Besides, he'd never go for a girl like me, anyways."

Hearing those words almost made Colby drop the groceries in his hands. It felt like he was living in a dreamworld that was allowing him to live his fantasy of having a sweet girlfriend. A sweet girlfriend that was you.

"You...You like me?" he stuttered out.

He hadn't realized he was standing in the entryway of the kitchen, just where you and Jake could see and hear him. Both of you whipped around, staring at him with wide eyes and open mouths. Then, a grin stretched across Jake's face.

"Well, I guess that's my cue to leave! I'll leave you two lovebirds to it!" he declared before running off to his room.

"You like me?" Colby repeated, wanting you to say the words.

"Umm, yeah," you said, your face turning blood red. "I like you. A lot. And you don't have to feel the same way! I just, I don't know-"

Colby was standing in front of you, the groceries now resting on the counter. His arms were wrapped around you, pulling you into a tight embrace. "I like you too," he mumbled into your hair. "Do you wanna go on a date with me?"

"In this pandemic?" you laughed.

"We'll have a picnic in the backyard," he decided.

"We'll have to trap the guys inside so they don't bother us."

"I'll barricade their doors and you get the food?"

You smiled, pulling out of the hug. "Then it's a date."

"Can't wait," he grinned back.