Chapter 27: A War of Emotions

I woke up the next day with a yawn, and turned over on my side to look at my alarm clock. It was about two in the afternoon. Wow, I slept late. Sitting up, I leaned against the headboard, thinking in detail about the previous night and gave a slight smile to myself.

Looking around, there was no one else in the room except perhaps Bodoujn who jumped onto the bed and curled up on my lap. Petting him, I wondered lightly about Barty – why was he really so set on paying attention to me? I would've thought he'd ignore me for the year except for when he needed me to help him with dad's potion, but... it seems he's more interested in me than that. Oh God I can't think of what is going on, perhaps he's just trying to treat me like a princess considering I am the flesh and blood of his master. He certainly keeps calling me that.

Slightly moving Bodoujn off my lap to lay on the bed, I stood up and got dressed. I suddenly groaned, remembering the fact that in my long-term sleep I had missed breakfast and lunch.

"Melody Riddle?" a voice asked suddenly. I jumped and turned to see Dobby.

That gave me the idea. "Dobby! Great, could you possibly transport me to the kitchen with you? I just slept the morning away."

He smiled brightly and walked over to me, holding out his hand. "Dobby would be honored to help Melody Riddle... Dobby only came here to ask if Melody Riddle is okay."

"I've only been sleeping the day away," I grumbled softly, taking hold of his hand and suddenly appearing in the kitchen. The house-elves looked pleased to see me, crowding around me and waiting to see what I'd like to eat. "Urm... do you have any leftovers from today's breakfast and lunch?"

They all nodded and quickly went to do as I asked.

I smiled and sat down at the table saying, "Did you guys know that you are perfect at your job and I love you for your kindness?" I had to hold back a small chuckle when a lot of them looked like they were blushing and smiling at each other for the compliment received.

I sat there while they put a plate full of food in front of me, smelling quite delicious and heated just right. "Thank you," I said, digging in once they bowed and moved away quickly.

I thought more on the night before, back when I danced with Karkaroff. He would have told me then and there who my father was, so why didn't I let him? He'd said 'The evilest of the evil. Quite a well-known killer. Do you know who he is known as?' I don't doubt for a moment that he would have told me exactly who my dad is... but I didn't want him to. I didn't want to overhear mom telling Lucius anything either.

But then, I realized, with Karkaroff's words, he would have told Professor Snape that he told me... then, no more pretenses except that I'd have to pretend I'm shocked. Same thing overhearing mom with Lucius, because Draco was standing right next to me.

In any case, I wanted Severus or my mom to tell me, so I could know when they were planning on telling me such a significant bit of information and I could finally reveal to them that I've known since I was eleven. Karkaroff would have ruined that for sure.

"Food not good enough for Melody Riddle?" I came out of my thoughts to see Dobby, and when I looked down at the food I saw I had only taken a bite out of the chicken and hadn't touched anything else.

"Sorry, no, I was just lost in thought," I said, eating some more. When I swallowed the second bite, I added, "Thanks for checking on me."

"Must have been very dark thoughts for Melody Riddle to look so serious," Dobby said.