CHAPTER 7

I woke up again to people shouting and arguing, it was about 7 in the evening. I wanted to yell at those people to shut up 'cause they were aggravating my headache. I sat up and saw the books Alan left for me. There were various genres, I don't prefer any genre, I mean a book is a book so... I took the first one, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and started to read it then the door opened.

Alan entered first, followed by the boy in the car with dad, Simon and three other boys I hadn't met. They were all blonde and muscular.

'you're awake again Hazel 'Alan said dropping some food packages beside the books before seating on my bed,' how'd you feel?' I nodded that I was okay.

He smiled' I want you to meet your brothers, Percy and miles triplets with Simon and Dale's the youngest, then Ivan is the eldest.

'dude, I'm not the youngest she is' Dale complained.

'yes you are' Ivan replied patting him on the back' among the boys'.

'that's shit' Ivan frowned at him so did Alan.

'one more cuss from you and you're going home' Ivan warned. Dale said he won't and they broke into argument. I squeezed my eyes shut because the noise was aggravating my headache.

'guys you're causing her pain' I heard Simon say. The other stopped arguing and turned to me. They mouthed their sorry. The door opened and Dorothy walked in with dad behind her. Alan quickly stood up and they all stared at him. He gave them a small smile before walking to me.

I stared him up and down and shut my eyes hoping that when I opened it he'll be gone but when I opened it all the boys were gone and he was still standing in front of me.

'Hazel, please let me explain' he said calmly. I didn't reply so he continued. 'I am so sorry I didn't realize all these was happening if your mum hadn't lied to me I would have come get you, I'm so sorry, I looked everywhere but James covered his tracks well, it took time to find you, I know all this is not an excuse but Hazel find it in your heart to forgive me'

I stared at him silently, tears coming to my eyes, he seemed so repentant but I couldn't believe everything was mums fault.

'Mr. Valdez, I'll forgive you but it'll take time to be complete' I choked out. He smiled at me and I returned it, I just couldn't call him dad.

'I hope you get well soon, anything you need just say it' I nodded to this and he stood up to leave. He wanted to hug me but hesitated remembering last time. I chuckled so unlike me, but I let him this once then he left and the others came in again. They seemed to be searching my face to guess what happened between dad and I but I'm good at giving expressionless faces so they gave up. Everyone sat down, some on the couch and some on the floor.

'we'll be here till 9, so let's play a game to pass time' Ivan suggested. They started to suggest games while I watched them. If these are the guys I'll be living with then peace is far from me.

'do you have any suggestion, hazel?' Ivan asked. They all turned to me and I shook my head. After much deliberation, they decided on 21 questions but the 21 questions will be for me. Ivan went first.

'what is your favorite color?' I replied I had none.

'favorite movie?' I don't watch television.

'favorite band?' I don't have one. There was a barade of other questions, which I didn't answer because I was bored with them already. I think they noticed because we decided to play another game, this time of cards. Simon shared the cards and they began to play of course I didn't because I didn't know how to. The nurse came in just as the game ended with Ivan as the winner.

'okay, boys time's up, get going' they started groaning and complaining as they stood, it was only the triplets and dale that were leaving the others were staying behind.' How do you feel dear?' she asked me.

'good' I replied. She looked at the food packages then back at me, I knew what she was thinking, I hadn't eaten today.' Alan has she eaten?' Alan blushed hard while Ivan looked flustered. I wanted to laugh but I couldn't. nurse Dorothy picked her clip board off the bed and gave Alan and Ivan swats on the head. The others burst into laughter. Dorothy turned to them, they immediately headed for the door.

'bye Hazel,' they all called before leaving. Dorothy turned back to the boys,

'sorry, I forgot' Alan said as he docked the clip board and so did Ivan. Dorothy turned back to me and smiled,' okay, Hazel you'll have to eat so you can take your drugs' she grabbed the plate of salad and set it before me. I stared at it for a long time before I said I wasn't hungry.

'I know you are, just take a little' I ate a few bites of the salad, surprisingly it was good, then I took the pills and laid down. 'she'll sleep soon, and can go tomorrow night, sweet dreams Hazel dear' with that she left. There was silence until Alan spoke.

'do want to watch television?' I shook my head. He went and sat beside Ivan who was nursing his head with that scene I fell asleep.

I woke up to someone shaking me and calling my name. I was drenched in sweat and breathing heavily. I was having a panic attack.

'calm down and follow my breathing okay' I heard Alan say. I calmed down after some time.' Was it a nightmare?' I nodded quickly. 'do you want to talk about it?' I shook my head slowly. I never tell anybody the reasons for my nightmares, I just don't because it's not their business. He placed my head on his lap, telling me to go back to sleep, he didn't have to tell me 'cause I was already out due to the drug. Screw it.