CHAPTER THREE

Leaving the village was more emotional than I thought it to be, I had lived here all of my life, although I didn't have friends like every other teenagers do because I practically spend all of my time with mum but I do have memories here.

I will surely miss the banters of the kids, the full moon dance, the fights in the yard, the shrill sound of Mama chinosom's laughter and of course the brass voice of the land lady.

Putting the last important things I supposed I might need into my bag I took a glimpse around the house, I was finally moving, I was going to lagos.

It took every ounce of courage in me not to breakdown crying, I felt like hugging the house, it held too many profound memories for me.

For a split seconds I thought I heard mum singing one of her favourite songs, how I missed her! .

The walk to the park was a lengthy as the only park we had in my village was 30 minutes walk away.

I didn't realize I had gotten to the park, my mind was far away fantasizing the skyscrappers, cool streets, beautiful people and fascinating lights I envisaged seeing in lagos.

The park was bustling with activities and was annoyingly noisy also suffocating the air was stiff due to it being overcrowded, people were moving here and there either buying or selling, chatting or just being noisy typical of a park I guess.

I didn't realize I was tired from my little trek to the park until I sat down, I was thirsty thank God I took a bottle of water along, I hurriedly gulped down half the water, pulled the letter and saw my now memorized destination.

Block 5
Agogo Estate,
Shasha,
Egbeda,
Lagos state.

Following the description, I have to board a bus going to Lagos first then board another going to Egbeda and find my way from there. Quite easy.

I shyly asked a pregnant woman sitting by my side where I could get a bus going to Lagos. she looked at me puzzled probably wondering if I was absconding from home.

After seconds of ogling at me, she finally pointed to the left mumbling that it will take about fifteen more minutes for the bus to arrive. I timidly said thank you then moved in the direction she pointed.

Exactly fifteen minutes after,the bus drove carelessly into the park.
''Eko ! Eko!! Eko !!'', The fierce looking conductor called out with his baritone alcohol infested voice.

As if on cue, people started struggling to get a space on the bus, in the process someone shoved me aside, ''Won't they at least allow the bus stop'' I muttered quietly or so I thought.

''It's like this is your first time at a park no wonder, you had better be smart Eko lon lo yii'' said a man he probably heard me.

Scrambling to the now calm bus, I spotted an empty seat which I quickly moved to seat on but was shoved rather roughly away from it.

''Who be this small rat?, wetin you dey find for here?, shey you run commot for house Ni?, Abeg I no want make police stop me for road sey I kidnap you o'' the conductor blurted harshly.

I felt intimidated and was on the verge of tears ''I am going to meet my uncle in lagos'' I timidly said, adding that my mother just died.

'' Gbogbo eleyi o neccestri'' my subconscious mind said, I would have laughed at the joke but peeople were already noticing us and I was getting embarrassed, as if sensing my predicament, the driver irritably told the conductor to let me be.