Chapter Two

Nobleman Sheerwood slapped his hand on the desk. Where was the rest of the letter? Did the assassin get there before he could finish?

Koroshi-ya, that what they call him. The deadliest assassin they had. The king was dead. Now left to rule is Queen Stacaësia. Kororshi-ya could have killed the royal family. Or killing them as of this moment.

Sheerwood sighed and headed home. The king supported the wealthy and nobles. But Queen Stacaësia did not. Sheerwood could feel his pockets emptying and filling the poor's hand. He cringed at the thought. Those filthy poor, he thought as he opened his door to a gruesome scene.

Blood was every where. He pulled his sword and advanced into the house. Blood prints of hands were everywhere. He checked his bedroom to find his wife bled white on the floor. He rushed to her aid, begging her to come back, but even he knew it was too late.

He went to his daughter's room. She was always bringing in stray animals and decent-look poor children to befriend. Now there she lay, stabbed, along with her strays and her new friend, on the floor. He held her lifeless body in his hands.

He heard a sniffle. Not from his daughter but from the poor girl. He immediately went to her. He took in her appearence. Brown skin, thick hair, and... green eyes? Maybe a refugee's daughter who came to the wrong town.

He started to ask yes-or-no questions.

"Did you see who did this?"

"Yes," she said shakily.

"Were you hurt by a weapon?"

"No."

No?

He decided to let her rest and take her in for interrogation, because she was hyperventaling and crying. But she was also looking at something.

A cold, hard object penetrated Sheerwood's head.

"I know you know," a voice whispered.