24

The warm, August air brushed against Kamala's cheek as they vapour-traveled into the vault of the Goldman Sachs. She looked around the room, eyeing rows and rows and rows of deposit boxes. This was her first real crime and she was incredibly nervous, she had always been sheltered and the quiet, innocent girl in her class so this was really out of character to those that weren't close to her. But at the same time, it just felt right, she supposed it was to do with her descension as the Gluttony Sin. After all, she was one of the personifications of Sin, so crime like this was supposed to come to her naturally. She had, after all, commited mountains of sins when she had been alive in the early 1970s. Kamala wasn't as innocent as she seemed, and she was glad that the Sins understood that.

They stood in one of the main vaults and was tugging onto Maya's sleeve gently out of nervousness. Maya looked over at her and smiled reassuringly. "If you feel nervous or want to quit at any point, don't be afraid to. I know this is your first real crime, I'm sure Perseus will understand."

Kamala shook her head softly but smiled nonetheless. "No, I can do this. I just need some guidance, you know?" Maya's eyes widened slightly but nodded and grasped Kamala's hand.

"Of course." Maya had a lot of experience in stealing, she came from a big, poor, single parent family and her dad struggled to make ends meet with his job as a janitor. She was the oldest with five younger half siblings who were only beginning to become aware of themselves. She wondered where they were now.

Luke's voice rose above everyone else's. "There are no camera here, which is really stupid but helpful, so who cares?" He grinned. "Split up and empty out of every, every single deposit. Be sure to grab jewellery, money and personal items that look like good blackmail material. If you go outside the vault, be sure to wreck the security cameras before they catch wind of your faces. Remember, the mortal world think we're all dead, except Perseus. We can't risk our identities being exposed. Now go get some gold!"

They all cheered and rushed to empty the deposits. The sound of countless small, metal boxes being unlocked rang across the big room. The boxes seemed to creak open defiantly, like they protesting against the theft. Kamala heard Luke laugh at the irony as he stuffed the cash and jewellery inside his bottomless pockets. She took a deep breath and pick locked her first deposit. She slid it open and shoved the shimmering jewellery inside her pockets. After the first one, the young Thai girl grew more used to it and slid open the rest of them open excitedly. 

She had gone through a few before she slid a particular one open. Her jaw dropped and her heart sank as she laid her eyes on a familiar jade necklace. Her brown, chocolate pools swirled with unshed tears as she held the necklace in her hand, feeling the familiar feeling of the smooth, polished gold chain under her fingertips. She gently grazed over the bright jade stone hanging from the chain, seeing her glassy reflection in it. 

"Percy," She called out urgently, not even registering the fact she had called him by his nickname.

"Yeah?" He answered faintly, the sound of his footsteps becoming more prominent as he approached her isle.

"Is it- Is it okay if..." Kamala trailed off as she started to get lost in the jade's beauty. "If we don't return home for a while. I-I want to," She paused, realising the absurdity in her request. "Never mind."

Percy's eyes softened considerably as he approached her. He was now standing in front of her and he grasped her shoulders gently. "You can tell me, Kal. I'll grant you whatever you want, you just have to tell me what it is." He smiled warmly at her for the first time in a few weeks.

"I-I want to visit my dad, and maybe my brother too. I know it'll be a little while till we go back to the mortal world after this, so I kind of want to use it fully, you know? It could help us build the mafia too, we can watch the news and get a house to stay in." She muttered under her breath hesitantly as she looked up at him nervously. Was she scared that he would snap at her because of her ridiculous request? Possibly.

Instead, the son of Poseidon just smiled. "Of course, Kal. That's a good idea. Why won't we book a few nights at a nearby hotel while we look for a permanent place to stay, and you can visit your family, just those two alright?" 

"That's sounds great!" Kamala exclaimed excitedly, her eyes brightening with a spark of hope and gratitude. She tackled him in a hug. "Thank you, Percy."

His heart melted as he returned her embrace. "No problem, Kal. Now let's get some more money." She nodded and ran off to another isle, hurriedly opening them and stuffing their contents into her pockets.

After a few minutes, Perseus clapped his hands four times, summoning the Sins at the entrance of the vault. "Judging by the absence of box shuffling in the room, I'm guessing you've all emptied them out?"

"Yes, sir." Caleb replied with a lazy smile. "Can I spray paint the message now?" Perseus nodded and the son of Hypnos took out a yellow spray paint can, rushing to the wall. He sprayed the words on the left wall, in big, bold letters. GREETINGS FROM THE BLOOD SINS.