Chapter 3: Patience

Edward groaned softly as he slowly opens his eyes. His body felt heavier than normal and noticed how he was in a pitch-black abyss. Turning his lamp on, he can see the tracks he is on, but the light only reaches three feet in front of him.

"Hello?" He called out into the darkness, his voice echoing loudly as no other sound is heard.

Moving his eyes around, he could tell that he was alone. Even though his fireman and driver weren't in his cab, he could still control his body. Taking a deep breath, he slowly puffs down the tracks. His wheels and pistons ached like they haven't been moved in days.

"Thomas? Henry? Gordon? Sir Topham Hatt?" Edward called out, still only hearing the echoes of his voice as he puffs further into the darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"He's not looking very good, boss," Kevin said in a worried voice, looking up at Edward.

Edward was hanging a few inches off the ground, groaning at the pain the lift was causing him. A train-sized gauze covered the right side of his face, covering the severe burns to protect them from getting infected. The entire right side of his body was either melted or just completely gone. His entire boiler had a deep gash, revealing the inside of him. His damaged wheels, buffers, cab door, and the wheels from his tender box were already sent to the scrapyard to be melted down.

"Edward is in severe pain, Kevin," Victor said sadly as he slowly puffs backwards. "But until the engine specialist arrives, we really can't do much to help him, except to do minor repairs."

"But don't we have anything to help him not feel pain?" Kevin asked in confusion as he follows him.

"Only for minor things," Victor sighed.

"Victor?"

Both Kevin and Victor looked over at the tiny tank engine hanging from the ceiling as well. Thomas' eyes were red from crying, but tears no longer fell.

"H-How is he?" Thomas asked in a quiet voice.

"He is hurting, Thomas," Victor hummed as he slowly puffs over to him. "But he will be alright."

"B-But...w-will he have to be s-scrapped...?" Thomas asked in a worried voice, tears starting to flow again.

"Edward is a strong engine, my friend," Victor reassured him. "It will take a lot more than this for him to be scrapped. Besides, I know Sir Topham Hatt won't toss Edward aside."

"I-I know," Thomas sniffled sadly. "I-I just worry that..."

"All engines feel the same way, Thomas," Victor said softly, puffing towards him a bit more. "Every engine fears the same thing. We just need to think about now and push it to the back of our minds," he hummed in a gentle voice. "Edward would not want you to be fearing about that."

Thomas gave a sad smile. "You're right. Edward would do everything to keep my mind from things like that," he said softly.

"That's right, Thomas," Kevin giggled. "Edward doesn't like it when you worry."

"Yes, you're right," Thomas said quietly, smiling a bit. "He would always tell me to smile, or else I would look like James," he giggled softly.

A familiar whistle blew as Henry slowly puffed into the station, a worried look on his face as he looks at Thomas before looking at the white tarp that was up to keep Edward out of sight. Sir Topham Hatt slowly climbed down from Henry's cab and walked over to Thomas. He also had the same worried look as he looks at his number 1 engine.