Burglarize, Criticize, Sympathize

Notes:

Aaand here comes another internal monologue-heavy chapter XD

This was probably the chapter that gave me the most trouble when attempting to edit over the years, so this feels really good to finish! (At least a version of it, I may edit it more as time goes on XD). I would have liked to cut down the internal monologue, but I decided to just keep it in for now. I also kind of wanted to split this chapter into more than one to make it more palatable, but the ideas tie into each other so much I felt like I couldn't really do that? By the time the next chapter came out, the connections between ideas would be lost? I don't know...The next chapter should have more dialogue XD 

All the support for this fic has been such a huge help in giving me motivation to continue!! I definitely wouldn't have posted the next chapters so fast without all your support!! So thank you all so much <3 Please don't hesitate to leave a comment to let me know what you thought of this chapter!! They really do make my week!!

Also! I forgot to mention the songs I like for this story! I've been writing this for so many years I have a list of songs for this fic XD but the two songs I thing fit most for this fic (especially the themes in this chapter) are "Towards the Sun" by Rihanna and "The Sun is Rising" by Britt Nicole.

******

When she arrives at the dungeon's door, carrying notebook between her hands, it is almost nightfall. The last of the day is at her back, urging her onwards. Her shoes tick against the tiles as she ventures down the hall.

Everything looks different during the day. At night the navy air was a haze, clouding her thoughts, magnifying all the negative feelings within her. Now her head is clear, and the waning blue day urges her onward, fueling all the positivity and determination in her.

"Your majesty," the guards hold their halberds higher, puffing out their chests, as if to show they're strong for this kingdom, "Is there something we do for you this evening?"

"Thank you, Stan, Pete." She folds her hands and inclines her head in a sort of bow to each of them. "There is, in fact."

They stand expectantly for her request.

"You can let me into the dungeon."

They glance at each other.

"Of course, your majesty," Stan bows, reaching for the door.

"Um...May we ask what this is about?" Pete steps forward, more hesitant.

Perhaps servants ought to do what their masters ask without hesitation. But, in a way, it was only fitting—some might say even more in line with their duties—for him to be apprehensive. He is concerned for his monarch's well being after all. It wasn't exactly normal for her to go down to the dungeon, nor is it a place a Queen would be most welcome.

"You know Varian is down there, right?" Pete speaks behind his hand when she doesn't answer.

"I am aware. In fact, he's the reason I'm going down there in the first place."

Their eyes widen, then they give each other a look.

She steps forward before they can say anything more. "He's just a boy," she says softly.

"Uhh, yeah, a boy who fed me evil cookies!" Pete exclaims. "And let's not forget, he kidnapped you!"

"Well...yes, that's true. But he's still just a boy." She looks down at the notebook and runs her fingers along the cover. "He's hurting, he needs help" she says half to the air, "...Besides, he can't hurt me from behind bars."