Chapter Five

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling does.

     When Harry awoke the next morning he showered and brushed his teeth and hair, which didn't do too much, and went down for breakfast. Snape sat at the table with his usual sneer in place. Over the years Snape hadn't gotten any nicer, and in fact got meaner. He didn't ever talk to Harry, and never told him when he was going out. Harry was in charge of himself, and needed to let Snape know when he was in need of new-used- clothing, as Snape didn't bother to ask. As well, if he had any questions regarding his school work, Snape would generally ask if he was stupid and tell him the answer, never explaining why the answer should be that.

     Harry was very glad he could write to Mr. Dumbledore because he could ask him questions and he would always respond positively, and help him out. Mr. Dumbledore even occasionally would come to their house to see how Harry was doing, but of course Snape always put on a show for him, pretending to be a good guardian for Harry.

*******

     That morning Harry skimmed through many books, but couldn't find any reason that he felt so safe with Corey. He was sure there was somehow a connection between the two, but it seemed impossible because a muggle and a wizard couldn't have a magical connection, as it was a person's magical core that supported the connection. So when Harry returned to the park that afternoon he still didn't understand why he felt so comfortable with Corey.

     The boys chatted at the park for a while, Corey talking about his favourite TV shows, books, and about his little sister Jill. Harry spoke about his favourite books, only mentioning muggle ones, and a little bit about being homeschooled, but left out the fact that Snape didn't help him at all.

     Once again the boys seperated and walked back to their houses, Corey lived just a few houses down from the park, so he didn't have to walk far at all, whereas Harry had about a ten minute walk back to Snape's house.

     Harry went back to Snape's house and continued reading up on bonds between people. He once again found nothing, and decided to give up for a while. Maybe Corey just had a really comforting nature about him, and Harry was just being silly thinking it was some sort of bond. Harry decided that was the best way to think right now, it was nothing, absolutely nothing.

*******

     Harry and Corey continued meeting up almost daily at the park until school started for Corey, so he couldn't go to the park until after school. Even still, Harry and Corey went to the park at four o'clock every other day and became best friends.

     Harry was still a little worried about going to Corey's house, and he liked the park because it was common ground. So in late September when Corey invited him over to his house for his birthday he wasn't so sure what to do. Apparently Corey had picked up on his nature of not liking to be around many people, and said it would just be the pair of them. So, Harry agreed. Harry was certain that the way Corey's face lit up afterwards was worth all the anxiety he would feel about going to his house.

     Harry wrote a letter to Mr. Dumbledore to ask if he would take him to Gringotts and a toy store so he could get Corey a gift. He received a letter the next morning after breakfast and because it was a Saturday Mr. Dumbledore floo'd over at noon.

     Harry, who hadn't been to Diagon Alley since his second day living with Snape, was ecstatic to go back. Mr. Dumbledore walked slowly so Harry was able to see everything, and the pair eventually arrived at Gringotts. Harry bowed to each goblin he passed, as he had read a book on goblin costume last summer, and said bowing was a sign of respect.

     Mr. Dumbledore seemed a little shocked at his actions but didn't comment, and bowed along with him.

     After the cart ride down to Harry's trust vault where he took out a bagful of galleons. The pair arrived back at the surface, and Harry exchanged his galleons for muggle money. He made sure he would have plenty extra as he planned on buying new clothes, as he hadn't gotten any new clothes that weren't used since the first shopping trip he went on with Snape.

     Mr. Dumbledore gently took hold of Harry's arm and apparated them to a back alley in London. Harry felt disoriented afterwards but after a couple moments he was fine, so the pair took off to a toy store.

     To Harry, this was the coolest thing ever. He had never been in a toy store before, and he couldn't take in anything fast enough.

     "What do you think your friend will like, Harry?" Mr. Dumbledore spoke behind him. 

     "I-I don't know." Harry said as he looked around. "These walkie ta-talkies look cool, or this l-lite brite."

     "Those both look good. You could get him both, or maybe pick one and get him some sweets. Whatever you think he will like." Mr. Dumbledore replied.

     "Do-Do you think I could buy the walkie talkies for myself and share them wi-with him? And still get him th-the lite brite and some sweets?" Harry asked quietly, thinking the walkie talkies would be a good way for the pair to talk to each other when they were at their own houses.

     "I think that's a very good idea, my boy. How about we go pick out some sweets for him at the check out, and maybe get a few for you as well." Mr. Dumbledore said.

     "Thanks, Sir." Harry replied.

     The pair swiftly bought everything, and had the lite bright and some of the candy gift wrapped, before heading to the clothing store nearby.

     Harry was able to pick out clothes that he liked, and didn't have to worry about the cost, as he had several hundred dollars with him. Harry bought many short and long sleeve button up shirts, some jeans and slacks, a couple sweater vests, some undergarments, and a few cozy sweaters. When Harry was about to pay Mr. Dumbledore quickly paid the woman at the checkout before Harry could. When Harry was about to protest Mr. Dumbledore silenced him so he could explain. When they left the store Mr. Dumbledore pulled Harry aside and spoke. "Harry, I love you like a grandson, and I want to be able to spoil you. I know I haven't done you a great service placing you with the Dursleys or with Severus, but I hope you can forgive me. I know Severus is not ideal, but he is better than the Dursleys, and if Voldemort returns I need you safe, and Severus is one of the best duelers I've met. So please let me spoil you once in a while."    

     "Thank you, Mr. Dumbledore. There is nothing to forgive, you are just trying to keep me safe." Harry replied, then hugged Mr. Dumbledore around his middle.

     "You are too kind, Harry. And please, Albus is fine." Mr. Dumble- Albus said, as he wrapped his arms around Harry.

********

     When Harry returned home he was very content, he had gotten a gift he was sure Corey would like, and he had a bunch of new clothes that he loved. He quickly gave Albus a hug before going up to his room and putting his new clothes away and trying out the new walkie talkies, so he could give Corey his tomorrow.