› t w o

they both watched seungmin as he walked himself to the restroom, shifting about in their unassigned assigned seats before they took to looking at each other

     they both watched seungmin as he walked himself to the restroom, shifting about in their unassigned assigned seats before they took to looking at each other. the three teenagers were sat on the floor in the den instead of the kitchen because genevieve's project was laid on the dining table, momentarily drying as she joined the boys in an eating break. her eyes were watering the tiniest bit due to the steam of the ramen, but she didn't mind. she was in the midst of what she deemed good company, and was happy about it.

     "about seungmin," hyunjin began to say before he cut himself short, as he thought he heard the bathroom door opening. in reality, it was just said room's exhaust fan being switched on. "do you know what's he doing on the days he doesn't come here with you? those are the days he usually ignores me until ten at night."

     she started to chuckle. "he's spending time with his boyfriend."

     "boyf- i knew he was gay!" hyunjin looked proud of himself, as though he'd solved the world's oldest riddle.

     "he's not." genevieve stated immediately after the boy's outburst. "he likes girls too, just not as much as boys."

     "i knew he wasn't straight!" he saw how she wheezed at his correction and he smiled fondly. to him, she was very pretty, but right now her dark skin somehow glowed more than usual. maybe it was the lighting, or maybe it was simply how much time she spent laughing while she hung out with seungmin and hyunjin. as the thought crossed his mind, the latter heard the former's footfall closing in on them from the hallway. changing the subject instantly, he says, "genny, your korean has gotten better."

     softly grinning, she says, "oh, thanks. seungmin has been helping me a ton with it."

     "you guys are gossiping about me, huh?" seungmin questioned teasingly as he sat back down next to genevieve.

     "why would we be gossiping about you?" hyunjin asks in return, his brows raised expectantly. seungmin, however, only gave the elder a roll of his eyes alongside an impish grin.

     genevieve, though she did so gently, flicked seungmin on the shoulder. "rolling your eyes is rude."

     grasping his shoulder, the boy glares at her playfully before nudging her in the waist. "don't tell me what to do."

     "wait, wait," hyunjin stopped them before they could start bickering. "how old are you, genny?"

     "huh? oh," she looked at him instead of seungmin, "i'm the same age as minnie."

     "you're younger than me." her friend corrected, poking her cheek with one of his chopsticks and causing her to shudder.

     genevieve wiped the ramen broth off her cheek. "by a month."

     rolling his eyes again, seungmin wipes his mouth with a napkin and smiles lightly at hyunjin. the older boy giggled quietly and leaned back against the sofa. "genny, seungmin."

     "hm?" the fellow korean sounded out, genevieve only staring at the boys instead of talking.

     "what are you guys doing saturday
afternoon?"

     a combined uh came from both seungmin and genevieve's mouths at the question. what exactly were they doing? seungmin was the first to give an actual response. "homework, maybe, but we'll probably not be doing anything special."

     "oh okay. i was thinking — if you guys are free, i mean — that we could maybe have a sleepover here. i got new blankets and fuzzy socks for my birthday, so we could make a fort in the living room and we can share socks."

     though he rolled his eyes, seungmin did take the time to translate what had been said for genny. her face lit up like a halloween attraction — especially at the mention of getting to try on fuzzy socks. upon seeing her reaction, seungmin told hyunjin, "i'll see if my parents will let us, alright?"

     "they're friends with my mom, so i hope they do."

//

wow. this is a short ass chapter. i promise that they won't all be this short! also, i apologize for how long it took me to update this book; i've just been going through it as of recent.

- t o r i