chapter eighteen

"God, i hope i didn't say anything more embarassing." Veronica chuckled, stretching out her legs across the bed they were still laying on the next morning, both of them on their sides, facing each other. "You also said that you wanted me to fuck you." Archie guffawed, watching her tired eyes widening.

"I'm so sorry." She pinched the bridge of her nose. "That you said it or that you wanted me to?" Archie replied, a cocky grin on his lips. "I don't know what i wanted last night, but right now i just want to go home." She sighed and Archie pulled the comforter closer, to get her attention back. "You can stay for breakfast, i mean you just took a painkiller, wait until you feel better."

"No, i don't want Rosie to wake up without me by her side." She shook her head, but Archie grabbed her wrist softly, making her look at him. "Are you still mad at me?"

"No, Archie. I don't have any reason to be mad at you for something you didn't do." She twisted her lips, gazing at his eyes. "This is all about me and my stupid insecurities."

"Hey." Archie whispered, scooting closer to her. "What are you afraid of? That i'm gonna leave you? That's not happening ever again." He assured her, running his fingers up and down her arm. "I've learnt not to believe in promises, Archie." She sighed, biting her lip. "But i've realized that what i'm actually afraid of is that my decisions don't affect only me anymore. I have a daughter, and i can't risk getting her hurt."

"I understand, and you have every right to think so, but is it worth it, letting fear control your life when we can have something so good?" Archie shot her a hopeful smile. "We have the chance to become a real family, Ronnie. And that's honestly everything i could ask for."

"It's not that simple, Archie." Veronica rubbed her temples. "What if we don't work? Have you ever thought about it?"

"I haven't, because i knew you were the one for me from the very first second i laid my eyes on you." Archie confessed. "We were happy together, you can't deny it."

"I've always wondered one thing. If i had told you that i was pregnant before prom night...what yould you have done after?" She questioned, looking at the space between them. "Would you let me go?"

"I'd do everything in my power to stop you, Ronnie. I let you go because you i loved you, and i wanted you to heal and be happy, even if i wouldn't be the one to make you smile anymore."

Veronica sighed heavily, her head flopping on the pillow. She looked up to the ceiling, reaching out for Archie's hand. "You hurt me. But you also loved me like no one else had ever done before." She smiled, a tear escaping the corner of her eye, which Archie was quick to wipe away with his thumb. "I'm ready to let go of the past, for real this time. I want to have fun with you and Rosie for as i can, without doubts and second thoughts."

"You want to have fun? We'll have fun then. I'm gonna take you anywhere you want." Archie smirked, rubbing a circle across her knuckles. "That's not exactly what i meant, you know." Veronica snorted a laugh. "No, really, i want us three to go somewhere for a day. You got anything to do this evening?"

"Thank you for this, but i got dozens of emails to answer, and i need to go at the speakeasy too, the renovations are almost done. Maybe some other day."

"Fine, but i want to see Rosie, can i take her for a shake upstairs while you're working?" Archie grinned, leaning against the headboard. Veronica was about to nod in agreement but stopped when a thought popped in her head. "Archie, it's not that i don't want you to." Veronica paused for a while, "But what if someones sees you?"

Archie looked at her confused, waiting for a further explanation. "I mean, no one knows about Rosie."

"You don't want her to be seen with me or you don't want the whispers and comments?"