Baby's First Christmas

She felt him standing behind her and carefully set the ornament box down, not wanting to fight again. She turned and looked up at him, smiling brightly. "All done?" 

His brilliant blue eyes studied her face a moment. "Regan, its not that I don't want to celebrate it." 

"I know." 

A wrinkle appeared between his eyebrows as he closed his eyes. 

She pushed up on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek, "Hey. Sh, we're fine." She settled back and lifted his arm, snuggling it over her shoulders as she slipped her arm around his waist under his leather jacket. He kissed her forehead as they walked out of Hallmark.  

"I really hate that store," he muttered.  

"Don't hate the store; hate your mother-in-law who thinks she needs a new knick knack." 

"I don't know why you couldn't just come get one for her and I'd sign a card or something. Isn't that what wives do?" 

"Nope. No idea what you're talking about." 

Doc pulled her closer against him as they stepped out of the mall into a steady Seattle rain. "I can't help that she loves me more than she loves you." 

Regan sighed melodramatically, "How will I ever survive? Pop the trunk, will ya?" 

He patted his jacket pockets and looked at Regan, "You got the key, love?" 

"No, you do." 

"No I don't." 

"Yes, you do." 

She tried to push him away as he smiled down at her and patted her back pockets. "Get away from me, pervert, last time I let you do that you knocked me up," she laughed. "I'm getting soaked and you're trying to play cops?" 

He winked and clicked the key chain that appeared magically in his hand. "Are you all wet? We better get you straight home and take care of that." 

Regan's face flamed as she set her bags in the back of the Range Rover and then refused to look at him as she climbed in the passenger seat. When he settled in behind the wheel, she smacked his arm. 

"I'm hurrying!" he exclaimed, and then laughed at her disgusted scoff. He backed out of the parking space and headed for the exit, "This place is insane." 

"It's the week before Christmas." 

"I've forgotten-" 

Regan glanced over at him; he looked out the window, waiting for the light to change. She slid her hand across his thigh, squeezing.  

He covered her hand with his, "I've just forgotten how crazy the holiday's are." 

"We could have gone to Hawaii with Mitch and Carly." 

"You're mother would never forgive you if she missed Josie's first Christmas." 

"I don't care what she thinks." 

"You are a terrible daughter." 

"Good thing I'm marginally better as a lover." 

"Practice, darling, practice makes perfect." 

"You know any men I could recruit?" 

"I know one," he said. 

"Is he young? I need someone with lots of stamina." 

"You mean he should be able to stay awake longer than five minutes after his head hit's the pillow?" 

"I stay awake longer than that!"