Dancing Shadows

Chapter 1: Dancing Shadows

“Some people are afraid of the dark, others play with it.”

      The streets of Tasoula seemed like a labyrinth— dark and murky, with roads and paths going into sick twists and turns. The roads made of cobble stones are poorly illuminated by light oozing from the tiny cracks of the surrounding houses and inns. Only palace guards were allowed to be out during the witching hours. No one dared break the rule, for even the guards are afraid of what might lurk beneath the darkness of the night. They dare not leave their posts, for a few did before, and none of them returned. Alive or in whole.

      A shadow silently passing by near an arch caught Alec’s eyes. It moved at such a quick phase. He is inside the palace grounds, it must be some other palace guard, he tried to convince himself. Then the shadow passed by again. He thought that his fellow guard might be playing a prank to scare him, so he stood up and walked towards the arch, holding his sword tightly in one hand.

“Quit it now. You know that he whoever leaves his post is bound to not return anymore,” Alec shouted.

      Instead of a co-guard showing up, he heard scratches of metal against the rough palace barricade wall. He moved closer.

“I said quit it!”

      The scratching sound stopped. He quickly unsheathed his sword and silently leaned back against the arch, preparing to launch an attack to whoever’s hiding behind it. He counted to three and jumped in.

      No one was there. His breathing was heavy and his weapon ready. He laughed at himself for being paranoid after hearing the tales of the “Hooded One” or “Red Coated Night Visitor”. Whoever that person is, he’s been haunting the Palace for days, or so he had heard. The booming sound from the bell tower caused him to turn around out of surprise.

“You know very well that he who leaves his post is bound to not return anymore,” a voice behind him said hauntingly.

      Before he could turn back, a sharp blade struck through his heart from behind. The Red Coated Night Visitor quickly pulled the blade out which made Alec drop down to his knees.

“Yes, kneel, just like that. One day, all of your people will,” the Night Visitor whispered while placing a sword on each of the guard’s neck.

“For you, you will be found. Not completely whole, however.”

      And with that, the Night Visitor scissored Alec’s neck from his body.

      The enormous golden and diamond encrusted palace gates opened to allow Dux Venator Primaria Damian Megeia and his daughter Megaira Megeia in. Their carriage sparkled and glowed with astral orbs fit for the Regis’s highly-honoured guests, as it passed along the vast terrace of exotic plants. The carriage stopped right in front of two gigantic closed doors that rivalled the gates with grandiose. Two fully geared guards opened the doors for them and bowed as they entered. The floor was sparkling blue; it almost seemed like ice. Megaira could see her reflection in it. Her eyes as cold and her heart as icy and dead.

“You’re about to be presented to the Regis. Quit frowning,” Damian said, facing the Regis’s throne.

      Megaira swallowed hard and tried to look as composed and proud as her father. Her dark,wavy hair braided at her side, her dark brown eyes complementing her olive skin. She has the same hair colour as her father. Both of them wore their battle suit, and both were alert and ready for combat. A dark scarlet carpet that made a sharp contrast against the icy floor covered the aisle. It felt soft and plush underneath Megaira’s leather boots.