🌿 Chapter One: Peace 🌿

"I'm afraid your mother's health has deteriorated significantly over the last twenty-four hours; it has become apparent from her test results and her breathing pattern that she doesn't have much more fight in her. The cancer has become much more aggressive and it appears that the treatment isn't working the way we had hoped it would. I'm really sorry to inform you, Mr Czuchry but it appears she may not make it through the week. It may be wise to start saying your goodbyes while she remains conscious." Doctor Varshavski explains.

Avery feels her whole world begin to crumble as she overhears the doctor's explanation, his words now repeating in her head over and over. She closes her emerald green eyes tightly in an effort to prevent the tears from cascading down her rosy cheeks; she needs to keep her emotions in check, especially for her father's sake.

She hadn't been surprised by the news of her grandmother's deterioration in health these last few days, having expected it. However, her expecting it hadn't truly done anything in regards to helping her prepare for the news, in fact it seemed to hurt more and hit her harder mentally. She truly wasn't ready to lose the only female role model in her life, at least not yet.

She turns her head to look over at her grandmother who lays in the hospital bed opposite where she is stood with her fragile heart becoming heavy in her chest as that familiar anxiety seeps in and effectively rids her mind of all rational thoughts, simply replacing them with fear induced ones. She could hear her father's heavy sigh beside her and the denial lacing his tone as he asks the doctor for alternative treatments that could potentially work. Avery frowns upon realising that her father would struggle to face the reality of the situation as he always had in moments like this.

However, she decides to remain silent and allows the doctor to deal with her father for the moment as she approaches her grandmother's bedside, being careful not to bump any of the machines she was currently hooked up to in the process. She smiles upon seeing her grandmother's soft blue eyes staring back at her, the same eyes that offer her warmth and comfort as they always had ever since she had been a small child.

Avery could already tell from the soft expression on her grandmother's face and the sadness reflecting in her tired eyes that she had overheard the doctor, though no fear seemed to be present in her in this moment. "It's okay, sweetheart." her grandmother whispers with a comforting smile.

Avery shakes her head with tears now pooling in her eyes as she stares back at the only woman who had ever felt like home. The only woman Avery had ever been able to turn to in times of hardship and joy. She didn't want to accept that this could be the last time she would be able to speak to her grandmother, it hurt too much to even think about.

"H-How do- I don't-"

"I'm not leaving you... not really. I'll always be watching over you; cheering you on in life, scolding you when you do wrong. The only difference this time is that your grandfather will be beside me and you'll feel it rather than see or hear it." her grandmother reassures before a violent coughs overcomes her causing the doctor to rush over in a flash to offer his assistance. He lifts her pillows and uses the buttons on the bed to adjust it so that she can sit a little more upright. "Thank you." she mumbles with a small smile, "you are a lovely young man, quite the looker too." she winks causing him to chuckle and grin wide.

Avery shakes her head with a smile whilst sharing a brief look with Doctor Varshavski before turning and retrieving her nail polish from her handbag that had been thrown carelessly on the small blue sofa in the room. She turns with the pink polish and offers her grandmother a wide smile, one that was a little more forced than anything else. She could do this; she would be strong and she would make the most of the little time that remained for the two of them. She would push her emotions aside for now, her family needed her to do that. "Can't be sending you up to Grandad without having your nails done, now can we?"