Chapter 10

"Waves," Nicole called out.

Waverly turned around to look at her, startled. "Nicole? What are you doing here?"

Nicole could see Waverly's beautiful face etched with sadness, eyes were all red and puffy and cheeks were still wet from tears.

"What happened?" Nicole asked, slowly making her way close to the brunette.

Waverly held her hand at Nicole to stop her. "Don't come near me or I'll jump..."

"Waves, we can talk about it-"

"No, we can't. This is not some prank anymore, Nicole.... I... can't... can't-"

"You can, Waves, just tell me what happened," Nicole persistently asked, cautiously stepping her foot forward without the brunette noticing.

"You won't understand it, Nicole... You're just some happy teenager who doesn't wake up regretfully in the morning and see the world as bleak and as sad as it truly is."

Nicole licked her lips. "Well, you don't know me, Waves... Trust me... It's not worth it."

"Just leave, please leave me alone." Waverly tightened her grip on the railing and she glanced at the rushing river below. The brunette's body was all shuddering from the cold.

"Don't make me go all Jack Dawson on you," Nicole said, trying to light up the mood. She needed to distract the brunette.

Waverly looked at her quizzically. "Who's Jack Dawson?"

Nicole let out a soft laugh into the air. "Seriously? You've never seen Titanic?"

Waverly stopped crying and scoffed. "I'm not a big fan of boats..."

Nicole grabbed the railing and climb over it, three feet away from Waverly.

"What are you doing?!" Waverly hissed.

Nicole only looked at her. "You jump, I'll jump... We're in this together."

"What?! Are you mental?!" Waverly was now turning back towards the railing. Nicole looked at the river below and muttered, "Just a reminder, Waves. I don't know how to swim."

"Ugh! You're so infuriating!" Waverly snapped as she climbed over the railing back on the asphalt road.

A smile crept unto the redhead's face as she did the same. "Hey, you know you can always tell me what happened, right? Even though, we're not really friends."

Waverly gulped back a sob as she crossed her arms around her chest. She bit her lower lip as she mumbled, "Today's Willa's death anniversary..."

Without second thoughts, Nicole immediately leaned forward and hugged the brunette, not caring if Waverly didn't reciprocate. "Waves, I know I told you that you can choose to move forward and be happy... but sometimes, it's okay to also feel these things... it's okay to be sad... but, it's not worth ending your life for this..."

Waverly let herself break down as she opened her arms around the redhead, snuggling into Nicole's chest. "I don't know... Everything just feels so out of place... I get now why Willa felt so depressed all the time... The pressure I get for applying to a better college... To be the responsible and mature daughter between me and Wynonna... And my so-called friends, who were supposed to be my friends, made fun of me because I hugged you this morning... It just feels so infuriating and it's driving me insane how I can't just live my life the way I want to..."