Chapter Eight | Awake

After rushing to the hospital and saying goodbye to everyone, for now, I met up with Tom in the hallways of Mum's ward. "Tom," I shifted my bag that slung over my shoulder. Tom's gaze met mine and he smiled a little. 

That's when a doctor, I read the name tag, Dr. Martin, comes towards us. "Are you guys' Melissa Cooper's kids?" 

"Yes," Tom had smiled brightly, bringing out his hand, they shake their hands. "I'm Tom, this is my sister, Charlotte." 

"Nice to meet you," I tried to sound energetic, but it came off sarcastically and I almost cringed at myself. I kept my hands stuffed in my pockets.  

"Right, as you know she's..." I toned her voice out, I want to see Mum right now. I noticed the way Tom looked at the Dr, he was paying his full attention to her. I hadn't seen him smile like that in ages. "She's just in here," was all I caught in the conversation. 

She leads us to her room. There was Mum, sitting in the hospital bed, sat straight up. She looked over to us, a warm smile spreads across her face. "Hey babies," 

"Mum!" I rushed over to her and gave her an awkward hug, leaning over the bed. I pulled away from her. "Thank God you're okay," 

She gives Tom a hug now, laughing a little. "I'm sorry I gave you guys' a little scare." 

"A little?" Tom somewhat joked, causing the three of us to laugh. "Mum, I'm so happy you're okay, how are you feeling?"

"A little sore," she admits. "The Dr's gave me some pain med though. Other than that, I'm fine. Said I should be good after a week." 

I pout a little. "Can't they let you go now?" 

"I'm sorry, love," she frowned. "Where your father?" 

Tom shoots me a glance, telling me not to say anything. "He'll visit later on," Tom might've lied. We weren't sure what state Dad was in, but I'm going to text him, to let him know Mum's alive and well. 

After shooting Dad a quick text, I volunteered to get Mum some food from the hospital cafe. I walked out of the room and found my way, it was pretty flat in the cafe. There was a chick in the corner on her laptop, a man drinking his coffee, a few others. 

I ordered a Muffin for Mum and a coffee, she'll thank me for this. After waiting for about 10 minutes, I got the muffin's warmed and the coffee in my hand. 

I got a call, my phone buzzing and I placed the muffin bag on the table before receiving the phone call. "Hello?"

"Charlie, hey," Colby's voice is heard. "How's your Mum?"

"She's good," I beamed. "Just got her some food from the hospital." 

"The Hospital food?" I could hear the genuine disgust in his voice. I chuckled. "Here, tell you what, I'll get her something. What does she love?" 

"Colby, you don't have to do that-"

"Stop arguing with me." He whined. "Seriously, Charlie, what. Does. She. Love?" 

I sighed. "She'll want pancakes from McDonald's."

"Sounds good," he chirps. "I'll see you in a bit." 

He hung up and I put my phone back into my pocket. I looked at the muffin and the coffee. Well, I hate Coffee. I'll give this to Tom. I wasn't really hungry, I just ate, but I'll give the muffin a try. 

I sat down at the table with a sigh and opened the blueberry muffin I thought she might've liked. I gave it a solid try but almost wanted to vomit. 

Colby was right. Even if he didn't admit it, you could clearly hear how disgusted he sounded. 

I made awkward eye contact with a waitress. Quickly, I advert my eyes and swallowed down the muffin. I gulped some Coffee, to get rid of the taste which was a mistake and I almost coughed it out. 

God, that was disgusting! How do people even drink Coffee? 

I packed up my things and left, chucking the muffin and the Coffee in the bin in a hallway. I made my way back into Mum's room. 

"Um, Colby's getting you some food, so," I half explained why I don't have her the food I promised. 

"Who's Colby?" Mum had asked curiously. 

A small blushed made my way to my cheeks. "Uh, my friends from LA came to support me while you are... Here."

She smiled warmly. "Sounds like you've made some great friends. I can't wait to meet them."

"Yeah, I can't wait for you to meet them either," I admit. I think she'll like them. I hope she likes them. 

I got a text from Colby, claiming he was here. I told him what room we were in and I informed Tom and Mum. They chatted a little, making light conversation. 

The double doors were pushed open and Colby entered the room with the McDonalds bag. His eyes landed on me. "Hey, Charlie," he greets me with a hug. 

I smiled and pulled away from him. "Thanks, Colby," 

"You're welcome," he replied back.

"Uh, Mum, this is Colby, Colby, this is my Mum, Melissa." Colby stepped over to her and shook her hand, smiling. 

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Cooper." Colby tells her.

"Please, call me Melissa," Mum insisted. I felt my cheeks warm. "You must be one of Char's friends that came down from LA?" 

"Yes," Colby answered. "And I brought you some breakfast," 

I could see Mum's eyes light up. "You brought me McDonald's? God, I love you already," 

"Mum," I hissed and Colby laughs, handing her the bag. 

"Pancakes! Thank you, Colby," Mum gushes. 

A few hours have passed. Colby, Mum, Tom, and I are still here, talking to each other. We eventually leave when Mum decided she wanted to take a nap.  

I'm so thankful that she is alive and well. 

So, so thankful...

A/N

Hello everyone! I'm so sorry for being like what? 2 months late? I didn't have any inspiration but now I do, hehe. 

Hopefully, y'all are safe from COVID, thankfully my country has eliminated the virus, so we're basically virus-free! 

Hope y'all are safe and be social distancing! I know times are tough, but we've got this!

Love y'all!