The Execution

A/N: Hello everyone! Welcome to The Hunger Games AU! WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE ENTIRE HUNGER GAMES SERIES. CONTAINS SPOILERS. Alright, now that I've warned whoever hasn't read Hunger Games (read it btw it's one of the greatest book series), let's get on with the book! This first huge paragraph is from the actual book (Mockingjay) in chapter 26, but I didn't include the last line because that's what the AU is about. Katniss goes through with killing President Snow. What will happen next? You'll have to read to find out! :)

P.S. The italic text is the writing in Katniss' journal (it'll make sense once you read the chapter).

People sweep into the room, surround me. The last touch of powder, the instructions from Plutarch as I'm guided to the front doors of the mansion. The City Circle runs over, spills people down the side streets. The others take their places outside. Guards. Officials. Rebel leaders. Victors. I hear the cheers that indicate Coin has appeared on the balcony. Then Effie taps my shoulder, and I step out into the cold winter sunlight. Walk to my position, accompanied by the deafening roar of the crowd. As directed, I turn so they see me in profile, and wait. When they march Snow out the door, the audience goes insane. They secure his hands behind a post, which is unnecessary. He's not going anywhere. There's nowhere to go. This is not the roomy stage before the Training Center but the narrow terrace in front of the president's mansion. No wonder no one bothered to have me practice.

He's ten yards away. I feel the bow purring in my hand. Reach back and grasp the arrow. Position it, aim at the rose, but watch his face. He coughs and a bloody dribble runs down his chin. His tongue flicks over his puffy lips. I search his eyes for the slightest sign of anything, fear, remorse, anger. But there's only the same look of amusement that ended our last conversation. It's as if he's speaking the words again. "Oh, my dear Miss Everdeen. I thought we had agreed not to lie to each other."

He's right. We did.

But the point of my arrow stays true to its target. I release the string. It hits President Snow directly in the heart. He falls limp to the ground, blood running from the fatal wound.

The crowd is in an uproar. My vision becomes blurry as I'm dragged away by Haymitch. Something doesn't feel right. But why? I've just defeated my greatest enemy. Or...did I? The last thing I remember is breaking into sobs and fits of laughter before passing out.

I wake up to find Coin hovering over me.

"Katniss, you're finally awake. I wanted to make sure you were okay. You made quite the scene at the execution."

"I-I think I'm okay," I replied shakily. I felt my voice leaving me as the walls closed in around me. The room was extremely bright and my vision wavered. I was able to focus on Coin slowly circling the hospital bed I was laying in. This didn't feel right at all. I tried to get up out of the bed but I was chained down. My wrists were red and swollen. I watched helplessly as Coin pulled a knife out of her pocket. As it neared my throat, she leaned over and whispered,

"Goodbye."

I jolted awake. My mother, Peeta, and Haymitch wore shocked looks on their faces as I tried to catch my breath.

"Where's Coin?" I demanded. "Where is she?!"

"Relax, sweetheart. She's in her living quarters," Haymitch replied.

"What's wrong, Katniss? What happened?" Peeta asked.

"Nightmare."

"Must've been a really bad one. You were having such serious spasms that we had to chain you down," my mother explained.

"Promise me that you won't let Coin go near me without another person in the room."

"We promise," Peeta assured me. I sat up slowly as Peeta wrapped his arms around me. "I won't ever let anything bad happen to you. Not after all we've been through."

I smiled at him. When I was younger, I never would've thought that I'd be with someone who loves me. Someone that I want to spend the rest of my life with. But now I have Peeta, and he makes me feel complete. Except for the part of me that will always wonder what would've happened if I ended up with Gale. That will always leave a void in my heart, along with the many deaths of friends and family that I've had to deal with. I push those thoughts to the back of my mind and remind myself to write them down in my journal later. Ever since the execution, I've kept a journal of all my experiences--from traumatic to pleasant--to help me stay sane. It helps to get all of my feelings out on a piece of paper.

My mother comes to sit on the side of my bed. "Coin has a message for you."

"W-What is it?" I ask, my voice wavering.

"She requests a private meeting, just the two of you. That's all the details she'll give," she replied.

"Tell her I decline." I should've killed her when I had the chance, I thought to myself. "I'm not going anywhere near her without someone else by my side." I glance at Peeta, then turn back to my mother.

"If she allows it, I'll go with you Katniss," Peeta suggested.

"Peeta, no. I don't want you anywhere near that woman. She's dangerous," I insisted.

"That can't be true. If she was evil, why would she lead the entire rebellion? I'll be fine Katniss."

She led the rebellion to gain all of the power that's why, I thought to myself.

"I'll let her know right away." I watch as my mother walks out of the room, and think about how hard it's been for her these past years, and how strong she's been for Prim and I. Opening my drawer, I slowly take out my journal and start writing.

I miss my sister more than anyone can imagine. She was my rock. I loved her. She had so much of her life ahead of her, and yet...she became another one of the Capitol's pawns to defeat me. How can someone be so...so...heartless as to destroy a little girl's life? I write. Another reason to hate Snow. But still, his execution doesn't sit well.

I had just slid my journal back into its drawer when my mother came rushing into the room.

"She accepted. You and Peeta are to meet her in Snow's old office in one hour. Better start getting ready," she said.

I nodded with a small smile. I realized then just how awful I must look after being in bed for three straight days. Peeta helped me up carefully and everyone gave me some privacy as I began to prepare myself. My hospital gown that I'd slept in was thrown off, my hair brushed and pulled up into a neat braid. I threw on a light blue dress (quite similar to the one I wore to the first reaping) paired with some low gray heels.

Today's the day that everything changed.