Chapter 4: Human

Kageyama had trouble sleeping that night.

And all because an annoying orange haired kid’s face kept popping back into his mind. It was confusing the hell out of Kageyama.

Why had Hinata’s smile seemed so bright? All Kageyama had done was give out his name. It wasn’t as though he had told Hinata that he had just won the lottery or something. So why was that idiot so damn happy? There was no reason to be.

And if there was, Kageyama sure as hell would like to know because he was coming up empty.

That dumbass’ smile had absolutely blinded him. Never before had Kageyama thought that something or someone for that matter would be able to top his love for the freedom of storms. It was puzzling and frustrating all at once and Kageyama wished he could tell his own thoughts to shut up and leave him alone.

And like this, Hinata’s sunny smile kept plaguing his mind and Kageyama tried so desperately to push the thoughts out of his head.

And just when he’d finally thought he’d be getting some sleep and that Hinata had been forgotten, he would bury himself in the warmth of his blankets and wait for sleep to claim him. But alas, the smile would reappear in his thoughts once again, instantly wiping away all traces of sleepiness, and the cycle began again.

***

Kageyama arrived at school the next morning with terrible eye bags and dark circles as black as his mess of a bed hair that refused to flatten itself. He had taken another pill that day for there was no way he would be able to control himself without it, tired as he is. He was even moodier than usual, grumbling and hissing at anyone that so much as touched him, creating a dangerous atmosphere around him that no one dared to go near.

Except for a certain orange haired boy, the root of all Kageyama’s problems, who seemed to refuse to leave him alone. Especially since now that he had learned Kageyama’s name, he found every opportunity he could in which to shove it in his face.

All through the morning it was “Hey Kageyama!” or “Kageyama guess what!” or maybe even “Kageyama! Guess what I ate last night!” and he just would. Not. SHUT. UP.

It was driving Kageyama absolutely insane. Never had he ever felt so verbally abused without any actual insults being thrown at his face. In fact, insults would probably be better if anything in this case, seeing as how Kageyama had become rather accustomed to those.

This orange menace however, Kageyama had no idea how to deal with.

Kageyama wasn’t particularly good at keeping up a conversation and he never had been. It didn’t take a smart cookie to figure out that he wasn’t exactly the social type. Hinata seemed completely ignorant of this fact however, or rather, he didn’t seem to care that Kageyama didn’t react as long as he was able to continue his own ramblings.

For Kageyama though, that meant more torture for his ears. For once, Kageyama actually wished that he could maybe tear out that throat and just shut him up once and for all. But obviously that wasn’t quite a good choice to make.

It also would have been good if Kageyama could engage in what Hinata was saying even just a little bit so that at least he would be able to include some of his own thoughts. That way it wouldn’t just all be erratic noises and frantic sound effects bombarding him every two seconds. In fact, Kageyama’s communication levels were so low that he completely tuned out what the actual contents of Hinata’s words were, and all the sentences simply blurred into a messy mixture of noise.

Unfortunately for Kageyama, this didn’t help his extreme exhaustion in the slightest.

***

At lunch break, Hinata plopped himself in a chair opposite Kageyama and surprise surprise, began talking excitedly again. This time about his kid sister who apparently went by the name of Natsu. Between sentences, he would shove some of his bento into his mouth and begin talking again with his mouth full, which Kageyama found to be slightly discomforting.