Chapter 1

Without even looking at the weather forecast, Tesla O'Dell could already tell that her week would be gray and overcast by shadows.

Her best friend was having his girlfriend move in with them. The extra cash would be nice, but another female in the house was not going to be good.

It didn't help matters that Tesla had a thing for her flat mate.

Since their having met back in college during her second year, over five years ago, there was not a day that went by that she didn't think about Malone. She admitted to herself a long time ago that what she felt towards him was more than lust. She was in love with him. But she'd never said anything to Malone because girls like her didn't get guys like him.

Tesla had never known Malone Reed in high school but surely, a guy like Malone always got the prom queen or the cheerleader or the winner of beauty pageants. And Tesla was far from that. She wasn't some grotesque, foul tempered woman. Nor was she a vain woman. Tesla just didn't seem to measure up to be the type of girl for Malone.

Her height maxing out at six feet tall, her build being heavy set to some, was just plain fat to others. With thick stocky legs and broad shoulders, she couldn't be anything except heavy.

She didn't have any distinguishing qualities to her. She had a milk chocolate skin complexion, dark brown hair and eyes and less than plush lips. Far from being considered ugly, Tesla was just average. There was a certain irony in that as well because what she lacked to attract her interest, she had an abundance of other physical traits that quite possibly repelled him.

Long ago, upon first meeting her best friend she had hoped that he could find something to like in her. Because it was said that opposites attract. Moreover, the man in question had varying taste in women, so she held out a glimmer of hope until they had really gotten to know each other. Though the women were as different as night and day, they all thought they were the hottest things next to the sun and they all had the amazing ability to snare Malone-if only for one night.

Being his roommate hadn't helped her feelings for him, especially when he was in between girl friends or sexual partners. It was during those times that he lavished all his attention on her and she loved every minute of it.

Now, that was all going to end because of that hussy that was moving in with them. Tesla didn't want to prematurely taint the outcome of the living situation for the three of them. She knew that she didn't not like the girl, though she didn't absolutely hate the girl either. It was clear that having the woman in such close quarters wouldn't lessen the feeling of emanate dread. Nevertheless, time would tell.

But the bad blood had started already.

When they first met, Christmas had been a little over six months away, and that apparently didn't stop the girl from giving Tesla a list of items she wanted for Christmas. Had Malone not been in their presence Tesla would have told her to shove the list where even Santa couldn't make deliveries. But, Malone acting as the mediator, had tried to pass the stunt off as a joke but Tesla knew better. The nerve of the broad passing out a gift list! Tesla thought to herself. They barely knew one another, to which Malone countered that she hadn't taken the time to get to know his girlfriend. He was absolutely right because to Tesla his girlfriend had become the enemy.

A knock startled Tesla from her book she had been reading. She looked up then, "Come in." She sat up straighter in her bed as Malone, or just Lone to Tesla, opened the door and stepped into her room. "Hey we just got back. Just wanted to give you a heads up that there are gonna be a lot of boxes everywhere for a little bit. She's got a few things she couldn't live without." Lone said making air quotes. God, he looked so good in his stonewash jeans and tee shirt. He'd decided to wear his contacts instead of his glasses so Tesla could see his clear blue eyes unhindered by the frame of the specks. He had full pouty, kissable lips and he wore his wavy hair long, several shades of brown and blonde mixed in with each other.